Author Topic: My VoiceAttack voice recognition quality considerably poorer than under windows  (Read 346 times)

NK

Hi,

I seem to have a voice recognition problem with VoiceAttack that other users have reported in some way or another as well.
Now I’ve read through the forums and believe that I have tried out most things mentioned, but still cannot resolve the problem. I’ve even reinstalled VoiceAttack and ran it with and without the VAICOM plug-in, tweaked the microphone volume and options…

After having not used VoiceAttack (Pro version) for over two years or so, I’ve picked DCS up again and tried to get VoiceAttack working as before. It used to work well and my HW/SW setup is the same (same computer, same headset…).

Windows speech recognition can understand me just fine and the microphone bar in the VoiceAttack is moving when I talk. A simple successful voice to text dictation to a Word document suggest to me that the problem lies with VoiceAttack.
I therefore assume that neither Windows-10 nor Voice Recognition Training nor the Microphone are the cause.

Every now and again, VoiceAttack would actually pick up a word that I say correctly or partially so, but for all practical purposes, VoiceAttack hears me but does not recognize the words. Also, the little microphone icon appears orange most of the times.

Can anyone help me out with my issue?
Thanks,
NK

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
The first issue you'd need to resolve is what's likely filtering on your microphone, which is one of the reasons the red microphone icon will be shown.

Hover over the icon and check what the tooltip says.

When your microphone is working correctly, create and train a new speech recognition profile following these instructions.
The speech recognition training should be completely a minimum of three times.

For words that aren't in Microsoft's default speech recognition dictionary, recognition can be improved dramatically by adding them with a custom pronunciation.
Click the wrench icon on VoiceAttack's main window, and on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window click the "Utilities >" button, then choose "Add/Remove Dictionary Words"

Windows speech recognition can understand me just fine and the microphone bar in the VoiceAttack is moving when I talk. A simple successful voice to text dictation to a Word document suggest to me that the problem lies with VoiceAttack.
I therefore assume that neither Windows-10 nor Voice Recognition Training nor the Microphone are the cause.
If it did, VoiceAttack also would, because it uses the exact same speech recognition system as the "Windows Speech Recognition" application.

You're likely referring to "Voice Access" instead, which uses a completely different speech recognition system that Microsoft chose not to provide APIs for, to normal Windows applications (only UWP apps).

I.E. your assumptions are incorrect.

NK

Hallo Pfeil,

Thank you for your quick response.
It Kinda put me on the right track, confirming some of the many trails worth investigating on the way to a fix.
Indeed, it seems that the problem lay somewhere in between the Politronics that I am using and Windows 10.
Apperently, a known issue. Only that it wasn’t there before and probably came about in the time I was off DCS, through software updated…
Really, the cause of the problem is pathological and und unimportant…

Here’s something back to the community. A quick summery to anyone encountering a similar problem:

Symptoms:
Windows voice recognition works just fine.
One can successfully perform a Windows voice recognition training and even test it when dictating to an opened Word document.
However, under VoiceAttack, voice recognition is either very poor or completely absent. This is evident by the little microphone icon turning orange…

Cause:
In my case, something in the background was repeatedly turning microphone volume all the way down, and/or muting it. This way, VoiceAttack had no input to work with.

Fix:
Confirm having this issue by using a different headset (preferably per USB cable and not wireless…).
Disable Realteck® Audio under Device Manager => Sound, video and game controller.

Also, the following video helped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnw8cvSCYKw

Finaly, thank you Pfeil for your wonderful work and support!
Sorry ;) for having annoyed with clumsily implying thet the cause of my issue lies with your tool.

NK