Author Topic: Push to Talk only works once  (Read 5720 times)

toby23

Push to Talk only works once
« on: June 21, 2022, 01:06:43 PM »
I'm using VA 1.8.9 64 bit on Windows 10.
I have used it a lot in the past with various add-on profiles as well as custom packs that I made myself, so I know my way around the software.
Recently reinstalled to use a custom profile with DCS but I cannot get the commands to register in the game and I cannot get Push to Talk to work consistently at all.
I have tried setting up keyboard buttons, joystick buttons etc and they all work once but then VA stops recognising them and I have no idea why.
Settings are default. I have set up a RecognitionGlobal Hotkey and Joystick Button Recognition but nothing helps.
Set to 'VoiceAttack listens when buttons are down' does nothing for me. At the most, it will recognise the command once, shown by the removal of the red circle with a cross through it in the VA control panel but after that, it stops working.
I hope that I have been able to explain this clearly, any help to get this simple thing working would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Toby

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Push to Talk only works once
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 01:09:09 PM »
Are you running VoiceAttack as administrator?

toby23

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »
Yes, running as Admin.

This is what happens on a fresh start up. I have pressed the assigned PTT button once in this screenshot, nothing else.

N.B. If I go into the options menu (wrench icon) and then close it, VA will recognise 1 press again and then nothing.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 01:14:06 PM »
When you mention you "cannot get the commands to register in the game", are you referring to keypress actions seemingly not having an effect on the game itself, or that pressing a keyboard key (combination) does not trigger an associated VoiceAttack command?

Does push-to-talk work consistently while the game is not running?

toby23

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 01:17:56 PM »
PTT does not work at all. This is all with just VA running, no other apps.
And yes, I mean that the commands in the profile are recognised but not sent to the game.
I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest stable version but the same thing is happening.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 01:25:11 PM »
If you do set up a command that is triggered using a keyboard key (combination), does that still trigger when you press the assigned key (combination) even when the push-to-talk key (combination) doesn't?

toby23

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 01:32:50 PM »
I'm not sure if I understand the question.
Do you mean if I assign a keyboard shortcut in VA to activate a VA profile command?
No, that doesn't work either.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 01:35:13 PM »
If you configure the "When I press keys" option for a VoiceAttack command, and then press the key combination you assigned to that (after saving the changes and making sure the "Edit a Profile" window is closed), does the command execute?

And, does it execute again when you press the key combination again (assuming the command is not configured in a manner that would prohibit that)?

toby23

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 01:36:39 PM »
Sorry, I edited my reply as you replied.

Do you mean if I assign a keyboard shortcut in VA to activate a VA profile command?
No, that doesn't work either.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »
"doesn't work" as in the command doesn't run at all? Or does it also run only once, as with the push-to-talk option?

If you don't use the push-to-talk key (combination) after restarting VoiceAttack, does that allow the command to execute multiple times?

Also, you mentioned using the "Joystick Button Recognition" option, does that present identical behavior to the "Recognition Global Hotkey" option, or is it different? I.E. does it also work only once?

toby23

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 01:45:45 PM »
"doesn't work" as in the command doesn't run at all? Or does it also run only once, as with the push-to-talk option?

If you don't use the push-to-talk key (combination) after restarting VoiceAttack, does that allow the command to execute multiple times?

Also, you mentioned using the "Joystick Button Recognition" option, does that present identical behavior to the "Recognition Global Hotkey" option, or is it different? I.E. does it also work only once?

1. It doesn't work at all as in the command doesn't run. My example should have pressed 'f' for flaps when I press LCTRL+F9, it didn't do anything
2. I don't understand your question about 'allow the command to execute multiple times'.
3. Both work only once

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 01:48:53 PM »
I'm not referring to any effect the command may or may not be having in any given target application.

According to the log on VoiceAttack's main window, does the command execute?

Regarding push-to-talk specifically, have you tried enabling the "Reject Pending Speech" option on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window? Does that make a different to the behavior?

toby23

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 02:03:24 PM »
Pressing the assigned shortcut registers in the VA window.

Checking 'Reject Pending Speech' appears to have fixed the PTT behaviour but it is now not hearing my voice commands (as intended I assume)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 02:08:24 PM »
You'll want to check your microphone input for noise. If the speech recognition engine is still receiving input, the listening state will not be changed unless the "Reject Pending Speech" action is enabled, to prevent commands from getting cut off when releasing the push-to-talk button.

Given that you are presumably not intentionally providing continuous audio input, you may have line noise or background noise getting picked up.

This is also what would cause commands to seemingly not register. If there is continuous input, the speech recognition engine will keep attempting to recognize it as speech, and as such recognition will not finish consistently.

toby23

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
I am in a silent room with only the sound of the PC.
Windows speech recognition has no problem to recognise every single thing I say perfectly.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 02:15:57 PM »
Try creating a new speech recognition profile, following the instructions in this topic.

toby23

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 02:26:16 PM »
With 'Reject Pending Speech' checked, VA still doesn't hear any commands with a new speech profile.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 02:28:19 PM »
Apparently my edit didn't go through:

Do also note that the "Disable Acoustic Echo Cancellation (could help with recognition)" option is normally enabled (checked) by default, as it can prevent certain input issues.

toby23

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 02:33:37 PM »
I unchecked 'Reject Pending Speech' and now PTT is working, no idea why, but the function works.
What's problematic is that the commands are not being recognised or sent by VA, see below.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 02:37:11 PM »
If you execute that command while something like Notepad has focus, does that respond to the input at all?

toby23

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
No because VA is not recognising a command that is in the profile. e.g. SET NAV RADIO 110 00

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 02:45:08 PM »
And you have "Disable Acoustic Echo Cancellation (could help with recognition)" checked?

toby23

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 02:58:18 PM »
With "Disable Acoustic Echo Cancellation" checked, I can now say a command e.g. 'find' which I have attached to the custom command I created earlier and, in Notepad++, it displays the letter 'f', which is correct. So we are getting somewhere. The custom profile that I have still doesn't work in DCS though and it should.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2022, 03:04:01 PM »
If you press the key combination that your command is sending manually, using your physical keyboard, that did work, you said?

toby23

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 03:10:01 PM »
No, that doesn't work correctly.
If I use the assigned shortcut (L CTRL+F9) with Notepad++ active, VA sends L CTRL+F instead of just sending 'F'.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 03:12:25 PM »
Yes...if you press a modifier key, the target application will also see that modifier keypress.

Unlike normal keys, modifiers cannot be prevented from passing through.

If the game isn't responding to your own physical input either, then that would also be the case for VoiceAttack...

toby23

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2022, 03:17:49 PM »
So why are the commands in the profile not being sent to the game by VA when activated by my voice?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2022, 03:19:50 PM »
Again: When you press the keys your command is sending, I.E. a combination of keys that would trigger an ingame action, manually, physically using your keyboard, does that have the expected effect ingame?

toby23

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2022, 03:38:03 PM »
Yes.
The profile is not using custom keybinds, it is simply triggering built in actions via default keybinds, which work as expected when I press those keys on my keyboard.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2022, 03:41:56 PM »
Have you tried a simpler command, that just presses a single key, like "G"?

If you open the ingame options menu to the tab that displays the controls, and execute a command, are any of the controls highlighted, to indicate that input is received?