Author Topic: Bug: Include Commands from another profile  (Read 6009 times)

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
Bug: Include Commands from another profile
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
This should be either fast (or slow) to fix:

When you export your profile, the "include commands from another profile" doesn't get transferred over. Even if the profile is not present, it would still be nice for this to be included, as it would mean that people could piecemeal their profiles out.

of course, if this meets up with the change that you are planning for the Include profiles feature Gary, then I am fine waiting ;)

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Bug: Include Commands from another profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »
I'm not planning on implementing that, as what is in the pipeline for beta release this week (tonight?) is multiple, prioritized profiles.  The linear approach is being replaced, as it's not easily understood (and this new way is a little more flexible).  The way that it works is that if a profile does not exist in your, 'stack' it is not included on load and it is no longer displayed in the list when edited (versus having a line that says, 'Unable to locate some profile that I have no record of its name').

And now the reasoning for changing identifiers for those reading along...
Profiles, from my perspective, are self-contained units and are never meant to be used as part of a group.  When a profile is exported, you'll notice that the identifier changes (as well as the identifiers of all the commands).  It is no longer the same profile... it is a COPY of your current profile (with copies of each command) which may or may not be imported BACK into your current profile set (profiles created by you or by somebody else).  So, at some point the identifiers will need to be changed and as sharing profiles becomes more and more common, identifiers will need to be changed all of the time.  It's a design choice (necessity) is what I'm trying to say ;)

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
That is fair enough.
I'm not planning on implementing that, as what is in the pipeline for beta release this week (tonight?) is multiple, prioritized profiles.  The linear approach is being replaced, as it's not easily understood (and this new way is a little more flexible).  The way that it works is that if a profile does not exist in your, 'stack' it is not included on load and it is no longer displayed in the list when edited (versus having a line that says, 'Unable to locate some profile that I have no record of its name').

Fair enough. It was more "hopeful wishing" than anything else.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
Wondering if this could all be smoothed over by allowing the, 'includes' to also be done by name, with a nice warning box ;)

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »
Wondering if this could all be smoothed over by allowing the, 'includes' to also be done by name, with a nice warning box ;)

Now THAT would be awesome. I mean, sure we would have to make sure that the speeelings are korrect, but I am shure that we kan kop wyth that

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
you sure about that? Honestly, we are all the worst spellers ever. Currently altering a profile due to "maintenance" and "maintenence" mixed up all over the place :D

now a quick check in va for this and executing a cmd by name with a "that cmd doesn't actually exist, are sure you spelt it correctly?" would be marvellous (sp?) haha
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

mIRCon

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
you sure about that? Honestly, we are all the worst spellers ever. Currently altering a profile due to "maintenance" and "maintenence" mixed up all over the place :D
Why do I think I exactly know what you're talking about? hehehehe :D :)

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
Why do I think I exactly know what you're talking about? hehehehe :D :)

Ay hive know eye dear wot u r onn aboot