Author Topic: Output Xbox Controller buttons/pad?  (Read 5628 times)

Exigeous

Output Xbox Controller buttons/pad?
« on: January 06, 2017, 07:10:47 AM »
To make a long story short what I'm trying to do is emulate Xbox Controller output based on some form of input, hopefully via Joystick.  I'm trying to use a VR overlay app called V (hellov.io) but it only accepts input from an Xbox controller.  While I have one I fly with a HOTAS in Elite and want to map the buttons/pads on my stick to Xbox Controller outputs so I don't have to use yet another controller while flying.

I don't think there's a way for VA to output Xbox commands/button presses but as this community is great I thought I'd ask.  I've tried using Xbox 360 Emulator but I can't get V to accept input from it.

Any creative ideas guys?

Exigeous

Re: Output Xbox Controller buttons/pad?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
As I didn't get many (any) replies I thought I'd just post to myself.  Is that the 21th century version of a crazy man talking to himself??

I did finally make this work, just not by using VoiceAttack (save for automating the commands I give V (that's the VR overlay app).  As it's hardcoded to use an Xbox controller I couldn't use any of the simple controller emulators out there - save for one.

I used an app called vJoy which then has a feeder (sorta like a plugin) to emulate a "real" Xbox controller.  What I mean is when you look at your joystick devices rather than seeing something like Generic Joystick you see "Controller (XBOX 360 for Windows" which is what V is coded to use.  So here's the workflow

JoyToKey binds specific keys to a specific joystick input (button, hat, trigger, etc). Then vJoy detects that keypress which is then mapped to a specific item on the virtual Xbpx controller.  Once that's done and the app is started and running Windows thinks I just plugged in a controller.  I then launch V while inside VR (notably Elite for me) and bingo, I can use my hats and a few buttons to then control V.  I bound the mouse in V to one of the analog hats so I can even move the mouse to click on things inside V.

Quite a few steps but really not that hard.  I already use JoyToKey extensively and as such knew what I needed to do there, it was just the "real" controller emulation that I needed to work out.

Just in case another wants to do this someday there you go, that's how I was able to make it work - and work well.

~X

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Output Xbox Controller buttons/pad?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:29:49 PM »
Ah...  sorry, I didn't get to this one sooner. 

You probably didn't see this thread:  http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=463.0

It's a plugin that uses vJoy with VoiceAttack.  Has a lot of steps, too ;)