Author Topic: [ARMA 3] issue with VA command for third person  (Read 10223 times)

Reggaeman007jah

[ARMA 3] issue with VA command for third person
« on: January 04, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
Hi folks,

I am very new to all of this, so apologies if this is an obvious fix. I have searched, but couldn't find anything on this.

I am trying to create a voice command in ARMA 3, to switch from 1st person view, to 3rd, and then back again. The default key is the enter key on the num pad. This didn't work, so I created a new key bind (using the key "y") in the game (thinking that there was some issue with the num pad enter key), but again, it didn't work.

I was wondering if there is some 'weirdness' with the 1st>3rd person view with VA in ARMA?

Any help would be awesome.. Thanks

Alpha-Kilo

Re: [ARMA 3] issue with VA command for third person
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:12:51 AM »
Sorry, I cannot do much to help. I can only confirm that there is nothing wrong with this command. As you said, NUMPAD ENTER is the default key. It works in the game and in Voice Attack. Your command should read: "Press NumPad Enter key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release"

Hard to say, why it doesn't work in your profile. There used to be a problem with NUMPAD ENTER in older versions of Voice Attack but it has been fixed. Just make sure to use version 1.6 stable or any of the 1.6 betas.

You say you also tried Y. Are you sure that this key doesn't conflict with another command in the game? In general reconfiguring a key and creating a new command in Voice Attack is a good idea but in this particular case I can assure you that the default key works perfectly.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SPEAKEASY - voice control for Arma 3:
http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1494.0

iceblast

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
It could be that you have VA hitting the button to fast.

"Press NumPad Enter key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release" could be to fast.

Try adjusting the speed.

"Press NumPad Enter key and hold for 0.2 seconds and release"

"Press NumPad Enter key and hold for 0.25 seconds and release"

"Press NumPad Enter key and hold for 0.3 seconds and release"

You get the idea.

It all depends on how the game recognizes key presses.

You could try making it a toggle key.

Or different kind of toggle key

Code: [Select]
Begin Boolean Compare : [3rd Person] Equals False
    Press down NumPad Enter key
    Set Boolean [3rd Person] to True
End Condition - Exit when condition met
Begin Boolean Compare : [3rd Person] Equals True
    Release NumPad Enter key
    Set Boolean [3rd Person] to False
End Condition - Exit when condition met

You might be able to get one of these to work. Some games can be finicky when it come to key presses.

Sunsteal

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
0.09 is enough. That's what the HCS voicepacks use and I use when I make my own command. Shame I don't have ARMA or I'd test for you

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »
0.09 is enough. That's what the HCS voicepacks use
Do HCS make a pack for ARMA? If not, that time may be appropriate for Elite or Star Citizen, but it all depends on the game.

DCS for example needs 0.15 seconds on my machine, whereas IL2 only needs 0.01 to be reliable. It depends in part on how often the loop that checks for keystates runs ingame.

Alpha-Kilo

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:41:18 AM »
I suspected that the user's hardware might have to be taken into account. But if this isn't the case and only the game has to be considered, 0.1 seconds is right for ArmA3. In my own profile this value is used in all commands for the vanilla game and most modifications. (The exception are two commands in the ACE modification for ArmA3, which must be pressed for a longer time. This is most likely a design decision because the commands in question simulate the calculation of bearing and distance in a rangefinder.)

As far as I know there are no voicepacks for ArmA3. The standard Windows voice is not great but OK if you just want a quick spoken confirmation of a command and in many cases you don't even need it as the game acknowledges orders and such.
SPEAKEASY - voice control for Arma 3:
http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1494.0

Reggaeman007jah

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:01 AM »
Hi folks,

Apologies for the late reply, and thank you all for the advice. I am playing on a laptop actually, and not a gaming one, so it may have very well be a HW issue.

It is good to know that it 'should' be working properly, and isn't a known quirk with ARMA ..

I will do further testing and get back to you all soon.

Thanks again chaps, good to know there is a community for VA - VA is so next-level-awesome :)