Author Topic: Send joystick commands with VA  (Read 4583 times)

omega9380

Send joystick commands with VA
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:37:26 AM »
Probably been asked before, but here I go anyway.

It would be nice to be able to send joystick commands with VA.  I know VA can monitor joysticks for triggering commands, what I would like to do is send those commands with VA.

For example, in Elite Dangerous, I have the primary controls for navigating the UI set for one of my X-52 POV hats and the secondary set to my XBox 360 direction pad for nav while in my SRV.  Because of this, I can't set keyboard controls for naving the UI.  What I would like to do is have VA send commands to automatically enter dock and open the starport services window when the ((EDDI docked)) event is triggered.  I can't do that now because VA can only send keyboard commands.

I've seen the workaround using vJoy here: http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=463.msg2268#msg2268

This is not quite right for my scenario, because I would need to set up bindings in Elite for the vJoy joystick, and as I said above, I can't because I can only set 2 bindings per command.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!!

EDIT by Pfeil: Apparently resolved by using keyboard keybinds in the target application instead.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:25:55 AM by Pfeil »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Send joystick commands with VA
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:24:11 AM »
If the game only allows two sets of bindings, you'd have to use something like vJoy anyways to combine devices. Unlike keyboard input, which is treated the same no matter where it comes from, joystick input is specific to the device reporting it.

However, you could set up keyboard controls ingame and have VoiceAttack monitor your joystick or gamepad buttons to press those keyboards keys; This way you can use both devices and VoiceAttack to provide input.

omega9380

Re: Send joystick commands with VA
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
That works!  Only downside is a bit of lag, but I can get used to that, I don't use my SRV all that often.  Thanks!!!