Author Topic: windows speech recognition engine error  (Read 18354 times)

Netskimmer

windows speech recognition engine error
« on: January 01, 2017, 12:55:48 AM »
I keep getting this error when trying to start the software. I have gone through the windows speech recognition and even tried having it running when I starting Voice Attack, but I keep getting this error.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: windows speech recognition engine error
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 12:58:55 AM »
That would mean that something has happened to your Windows speech engine and it will require you to repair it in some fashion.  VoiceAttack relies on the speech engine to do its thing, so it's vital that it is working... that's why VA shows that message.

You may want to try doing a system scan to see if finds anything (never hurts... ):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Hope that helps!

Netskimmer

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 01:17:06 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

I ran the scan and it said it did not find any integrity violations. Windows speech recognition seems to be working fine.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 01:37:12 AM »
The only place in the VA code that displays that error is when VA is asking windows to give it an instance of it's speech engine.  Windows is saying no go...

Other things to try are reinstalling VA and/or reinstalling the .net framework v4 on your system.

Netskimmer

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 02:17:36 AM »
I tried uninstalling voice attack, uninstalling .net framework, reinstalling framework from win update, then downloading a fresh copy of the voice attack installer and reinstalling. Still getting the error.

Netskimmer

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 03:33:29 AM »
Thought I should mention I am running windows 7-64bit. I can open programs and dictate text using windows speech recognition so it seems to be functioning normally.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
Hmmm... Are you running any plugins?
Are you using any command line parameters?
What are your speech options set at on the options page?

Netskimmer

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
No command line parameters and no plugins. What options page are you referring to?

EDIT:
I don't see any options pages for windows speech recognition and I cannot get into the voice attack software at all.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:29:56 PM by Netskimmer »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 05:29:03 PM »
What is the full message you are receiving when you run VoiceAttack?  There are two messages that can contain the term, 'windows speech recognition engine error'.  They both resolve to the same issue, but run through slightly different code.  I can look to see if there could be something telling in there.   Also, are you working with the latest version of VoiceAttack or an earlier version?

Netskimmer

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 12:48:47 AM »
I am using VoiceAttack 1.6.1

Full error message:

An error has occurred while trying to initialize the speech engine's audio event handlers. It is possible that the speech engine that VoiceAttack relies on is corrupt, has corrupt components or is missing and/or has missing components.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 11:00:32 PM »
That message is right where the event handlers are set up for the speech engine.  You've got something corrupt or incompatible with your version of SAPI on your machine that VoiceAttack is trying to use.  I'm not sure on how to guide you from here, as that is a system-level problem that you are going to need to correct to be able to use VoiceAttack.

Netskimmer

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »
If I remove/rename the folder that contains the files for Windows Speech Recognition and then try to 'repair' it, Windows should re-download the files correct? Might that fix the problem?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
I don't think that will do it.  Windows doesn't work that way... You'll need to find out how to reinstall SAPI.  I'm not sure, but maybe you can follow the steps in this thread to possibly get the speech engine up to code:

http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=45.0

Netskimmer

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
According to one of the moderators and the Microsoft support forums, there is no way to reinstall SAPI. VoiceAttack tells me to shut down Windows Speech Recognition when I try to start it. Is that normal?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »
Yes.  If the Windows speech app is running, VoiceAttack will ask if you want to stop it, because if you are issuing voice commands, two applications will be picking up your voice at the same time.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
Ok... so, thinking about the fact that you actually have the Windows speech application open has made me look into what is required to get VA up and running.  There's some aspect of the speech engine components that VA is using that the Windows speech app is not.  So, I went into the setup to see if there's anything that could be done...  I've reordered the initialization so that the absolutely required features of VA will be initialized first, followed by items that could just be off (things that have to do with status... like audio problems and mic level.  Normally are part of the overall operation, but if they are off, they won't bring down the house... just kind of irritating).  A message will be displayed letting you know those facilities are not available.  Also, I augmented the message that is shown to include the actual exception details so it will be more clear as to which element is actually out of sorts (instead of grouping it all together).

I've uploaded a build to the, 'unofficial' bin if you would like to try it out and see if it can just get you by:  http://www.voiceattack.com/unofficial

Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it out (just copy the .exe into your VoiceAttack installation folder).

Netskimmer

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
Ok, when I run this new exe I get the following error but the program does start.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.CreateNewSapiGrammar(UInt64& grammarId)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.LoadGrammar(Grammar grammar)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine.LoadGrammar(Grammar grammar)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.()
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.(Object , EventArgs )
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at VoiceAttack.DraggableForm.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.(Message& )
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------

If I try to mess with my profile, even if I just open it and click done without changing anything, I get the same error but with different details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine.RecognizeAsync(RecognizeMode mode)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.(String )
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.(Object , EventArgs )
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
VoiceAttack
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 1.6.1.16
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/VoiceAttack/voiceattack.exe
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Speech
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Speech/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Speech.dll
PresentationFramework
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/PresentationFramework/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationFramework.dll
WindowsBase
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll
PresentationCore
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll
System.Xaml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xaml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xaml.dll
{6387f677-93f1-44e4-b42c-2fb1a726b7fa}
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.6.1.16
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/VoiceAttack/voiceattack.exe
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
System.Web
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
I put it all back.  I remember now there was a reason to not break them out... any one of the steps failing means there is something broken and it really needs to absolutely stop.

You've definitely got something that's borked up, man.  In order to use VoiceAttack, you are going to need to repair your setup one way or another :(

Gremlich

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 03:19:34 PM »
Yeah, bringing it back to life.

My speech recognition works, I can launch programs, etc with it, etc,...but Voice attack still gives me the same error others have gotten. THAT says that the issue is with the VA software. Which version of VA should we be using at this point?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 03:24:30 PM »
This thread is from more than a year ago.  What exception are you getting?

Also, what speech engine do you have selected in Options > Recognition?

If I had to suggest a version to use (non-beta), it would be v1.6.9 release:  http://www.voiceattack.com/download

Gremlich

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 08:57:55 AM »
Yes, this thread is old but the issue remains.

the error I get is

"VoiceAttack - Windows Speech Recognition Engine Error

An error has occured while trying to initialize the speech recognition engine

VoiceAttack will now close"

without VA active, I can use the windows speech recognition feature. I can even launch VA from it. Once I do that VA asks if it can shut off the active speech recognition feature. I click yes, feature closes, then I get the error message.

That being said, if I go to "settings" and ask the system to "start speech recognition" I get the error "The ordinal 380 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\System32\Speech\SpeechUX\SpeechUX.dll"
However, if I select "Speech Recognition", I get a menu. One of the options is "Star Speech Recognition" I select that voila, it pops up ready to work.

I've used the DISM tool sfc and neither indicated any foul play. ("SFC did not find any integrity issues")

where would I find this option? "Also, what speech engine do you have selected in Options > Recognition?"

I've looked as thoroughly as I can. Is it the standard M$ speech recognizer 8.0 for windows?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:04:28 AM by Gremlich »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
This does not look like the same issue the previous user was having.  The previous user's issue had to do with audio event handlers after initialization.  This appears to be something different (the component is not able to even be initialized, even in the most basic way).  The bottom line is that is that if VA is trying to access your installed speech engine and that component is blowing up, there's something amiss on your system that you're going to need to repair.  It looks as if VoiceAttack is the culprit, but VoiceAttack is ultimately the indicator of an underlying system problem that only the end-user will be able to fix.  Unfortunately Microsoft does not leave us with much instruction on cleaning up the built-in speech facilities.  The quickest solution to a system that has broken components (short of reinstalling Windows) is to try an alternate speech engine.  There are instructions for doing that here:  http://www.voiceattack.com/alternate   

You can see what speech engine you are using by opening the Options screen and then going to the speech recognition tab (Options > Speech Recognition).

Gremlich

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
Here's the thing, VA worked last month and I've done nothing other than download ver 9 and installed. I've tried system restore - nada. I';ll keep working at it. cheers.

Gremlich

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
It looks as if VoiceAttack is the culprit, but VoiceAttack is ultimately the indicator of an underlying system problem that only the end-user will be able to fix. 

so how do you explain away the fact that the speech recognition works regardless when VA cannot even start?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
how do you explain away the fact that the speech recognition works regardless when VA cannot even start?
if I go to "settings" and ask the system to "start speech recognition" I get the error "The ordinal 380 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\System32\Speech\SpeechUX\SpeechUX.dll"
However, if I select "Speech Recognition", I get a menu. One of the options is "Star Speech Recognition" I select that voila, it pops up ready to work.

As you can't get speech recognition started without essentially employing a workaround, it's not unreasonable that VoiceAttack can't get it started either.

The speech recognition on your machine is at least partially broken, VoiceAttack likely relies on the broken part, ergo it cannot work.

People have had success with Speech Platform 11, which is the alternate speech engine Gary is referring to, when the built-in engine wouldn't work; Because it uses its own set of resources there's a good chance it won't get hung up on whatever is causing the built-in engine to fail.

Gremlich

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
Installed Speech Platform 1 on an older version of VA, v7 I think.

It seems to work just fine. Thanks for your time.