Author Topic: Alternate Speech Engine.  (Read 7522 times)

Fenestrate

Alternate Speech Engine.
« on: May 15, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
Yeah, I know VA works with the Window's Speech Engine.
I'm thinking of picking up Dragon Naturally Speeking for other reasons than AV. I'm right on the edge. If it works with VA then I'll get it. If not I won't.
I guess it depends on whether Dragon replaces the Window's Engine, supplements it or co-exists with it. Having no joy finding out.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Alternate Speech Engine.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:34:25 PM »
The DNS engine would not replace the Windows speech engine, and VoiceAttack will not pick it up if it is installed.  The DNS engine used to be SAPI compliant...  not sure when they dropped that.  I get requests from time to time for DNS support, but it's $5k for the sdk.  I'm not sure if that's worth the risk when the users would have to purchase something as expensive as DNS to get what I would consider a marginally better experience.  I do have it on the books to explore alternatives, though... might not be this year unless I can free up some more time.

Fenestrate

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:11:47 AM »
Well. That's that then. Thanks for the reply.

I'll just wait until someone comes up with a DRM capable replacement for Windows 10 and then upgrade to that (Using Win 7 right now). Maybe the Win 10 speech engine is better than Win 7's.

Whelp. Back to training speech recog.  ::)

Rhaedas

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »
In my opinion, just from using both, Win 7 and Win 10 are the same. Now, I know they changed voices, probably added some stuff, but as far as basic recognition, I see no difference, and that's a shame, because I really was hoping for it.