Author Topic: Recursion (see: recursion)  (Read 3925 times)

ralf44

Recursion (see: recursion)
« on: December 17, 2016, 02:43:10 PM »
1. The Play Random Audio From Directory command could be powered-up with a "Scan sub-directories" checkbox. iTunes, Amazon Music Player etc organize mp3s into Artist/Album sub-directories, so two levels of recursion would be the minimum useful depth for this feature.

2. If a Profile includes commands from another Profile upon launch, and that Profile includes commands from another Profile upon launch, and that Profile includes commands from another Profile upon launch etc - and in the worst case, there are commands which take the same voice input, as in loading multiple HCS Voicepacks - what does VA do? Is there a limit to how many levels of command-appending VA will handle? Ideally I would like either (a) no depth limit or a high number like 6 or 8, but the first loaded instance of a command input blocks all lower-level duplicate commands or (b) no depth limit or a high number like 6 or 8, but the last loaded instance of a command taking the same input(s) takes priority - with a consistent rule explained in the manual for which way precedence goes... for useability I think (a) is the more intuitive option.

3. If (2) does not work consistently or would be a problem to implement, how about a Merge Profiles feature at VA's top level? This would provide the same functionality but need a one-time-only sequence of decision boxes where the user can compare two instances of commands which take the same input(s) and decide which of them to keep.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
Re: Recursion (see: recursion)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
1. The Play Random Audio From Directory command could be powered-up with a "Scan sub-directories" checkbox. iTunes, Amazon Music Player etc organize mp3s into Artist/Album sub-directories, so two levels of recursion would be the minimum useful depth for this feature.

And I could kill that recursion scan with my music collection (50K+ tracks).

I believe the "play a random sound from directory" option was given to make it easier for the HCS guys to more easily code up "random responses" instead of having to write up a long winded custom sound routine for each command that needed one.

Side note: The reason why they *music* players can get away with this is because they use a database to store all of the information concerning the music (album/artist/track title/duration etc etc).

2. If a Profile includes commands from another Profile upon launch, and that Profile includes commands from another Profile upon launch, and that Profile includes commands from another Profile upon launch etc - and in the worst case, there are commands which take the same voice input, as in loading multiple HCS Voicepacks - what does VA do? Is there a limit to how many levels of command-appending VA will handle? Ideally I would like either (a) no depth limit or a high number like 6 or 8, but the first loaded instance of a command input blocks all lower-level duplicate commands or (b) no depth limit or a high number like 6 or 8, but the last loaded instance of a command taking the same input(s) takes priority - with a consistent rule explained in the manual for which way precedence goes... for useability I think (a) is the more intuitive option.

If I remember correctly this is how it goes (for the includes chain with same commands)

1) No upper limit for the number of "includes" that you can use in a chain. I have 6 or 7 in my HCS profile chain
2) Going from the active profile and working backwards, first command hit will be the ones used *if* I remember correctly.

3. If (2) does not work consistently or would be a problem to implement, how about a Merge Profiles feature at VA's top level? This would provide the same functionality but need a one-time-only sequence of decision boxes where the user can compare two instances of commands which take the same input(s) and decide which of them to keep.

Its already there. Bottom right of the edit profile screen is the option to import commands from one to the next. IF there is a clash then it will be highlighted in red, and those red commands will be the ones overwritten by the *new* commands that you are importing.