Author Topic: Can't launch app minimized?  (Read 4572 times)

Exigeous

Can't launch app minimized?
« on: November 25, 2016, 08:18:05 PM »
Seems that I can't launch any apps minimized when creating my own commands.  Maximize does work but minimized and hidden both do not.

Running latest beta, what am I missing?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Can't launch app minimized?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 09:53:16 AM »
Which "apps" are you launching?

Code: [Select]
Run application 'notepad.exe' (minimized)
Run application 'notepad.exe' (hidden)
Produces one minimized and one hidden instance, as expected, in v1.6.1.2

Exigeous

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:51:40 AM »
Specifically "JoyToKey".  Converts USB/Joystick button inputs to some kind of output (keyboard/mouse/clipboard, etc)

Also MotionSeatPM but that's very specific to my hardware.  A few other minor ones.  And yes, simple things like notepad work fine...

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:14:41 PM »
VoiceAttack does not distinguish between, 'simple' and 'complex' applications.  It's simply passing a piece of information along and it's up to the target application to handle that information.

So, when you create a desktop shortcut to JoyToKey and select the, 'Minimized' option for Run, JoyToKey minimizes just fine and VoiceAttack's minimize does not work?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:25:59 PM by Gary »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 02:20:45 PM »
Had a look at the application itself, you can actually tell it to start minimized by checking "Start JoyToKey in a minimized mode" in the "Preferences" window of JoyToKey, if that's what you're after.

EDIT: Hah. If you've tried that already, I can see why you'd seek an alternative: JoyToKey won't actually come out of its minimized state when started this way, and has to be closed via task manager, after which the setting has to be undone by manually editing the config file ???

So, when you create a desktop shortcut to JoyToKey and select the, 'Minimized' option for Run, JoyToKey minimizes just fine and VoiceAttack's minimize does not work?
Indeed. Though, unlike with notepad, the title bar for JoyToKey appears when the application starts, and goes through a minimizing animation.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:33:24 PM by Pfeil »