Author Topic: 1.6 commands not reaching e:d  (Read 7040 times)

mtu

1.6 commands not reaching e:d
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »
Worked fine on older version, i wish i could remember which. maybe 1.2.something? licensed 12/11/15.
I can print commands via "active window" to notepad/browser (testing here: i say "landing gear" and it says... G) steam feels my F12 screenshot order, but nothing makes it into elite.

I have tried everything i could think of:
VA is running elevated
shut down everything i could - no discord, skype, etc
refreshing the "send commands to" list causes crash now; sometimes reassigning command target does as well
rift is my mic/display
have tried launching game both from home, 2d steam, and steamvr
have confirmed keybinds on both installations
uninstalled and reinstalled VA
rebooted pc and tried again
all presses are 0.10 seconds (no change from prior working configuration)
reset VA to defaults

Any suggestions?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: 1.6 commands not reaching e:d
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »
Make absolutely sure you are running VA as an administrator, as well as confirm that Elite Dangerous is actually your process target by selecting it from your list (if you can) or set the, 'send commands to' to, 'Active Window'. 

I'm curious about your crashing when the process list is refreshed.  Is there an error message generated when this happens?

mtu

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:01:47 PM »
Make absolutely sure you are running VA as an administrator, as well as confirm that Elite Dangerous is actually your process target by selecting it from your list (if you can) or set the, 'send commands to' to, 'Active Window'. 

I'm curious about your crashing when the process list is refreshed.  Is there an error message generated when this happens?

Am absolutely sure about admin sudo, i set it manually for startup each time during this testing, and your alert for running without elevation isn't in the command log.
tried both selecting from process list directly for the elite dangerous(client) and sending to active window.
I just tested it on a dx9 game and it sends ok using the specified window title

No errors when inducing crash from the process list combobox; generic win10 "has stopped" and the process must be killed from taskman before successfully restarting. Though, it strikes me - playing with it now it seems nice and stable (testing it against divinity OS classic), whereas i had four or five such crashes while testing with e:d. This doesn't feel coincidental.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:05:51 PM by mtu »

mtu

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »
Is there anything I can test or log to help me narrow down the problem?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:57:52 PM »
Still seems symptomatic of running in different security contexts, since it seems to work for Notepad and it seems to work for Divinity, or there is something specifically blocking input between VA and E:D (in the past it's been stuff like TeamViewer or Synergy).  I have mine set to Active Window and it sends input to E:D without issue.

mtu

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
Hm. I've certainly had synergy cause problems before but I think I cleared it out; I certainly haven't added anything beside autodesk software since it worked. Is rolling back to an older version a worthwhile test? Are they available around here somewhere, and is there a stable option to try besides the winxp release linked on the download pane?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 12:22:04 AM »

mtu

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »
of course i miss the sticky at the top. I bring shame upon my house.

That fixed it; i rolled back to 1.5.7 and it's working swell. Must be something in 1.6

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Did you try 1.5.8 or 1.5.12?

mtu

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
I'll try them both now...
Fresh install of 1.5.7: working.
Install-overwrite (from installer_158) of 1.5.8: working, even without elevation
Install-overwrite (from installer_1512) of 1.5.12: working w/o elevation
Install-upgrade from current web installer: not working, with or without elevation
Install-upgrade from beta installer 1.6.1.2: not working with elevation

mtu

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 10:46:10 AM »
fresh install (new ssd) of win10 build 10393, 1.6 exhibits the same issue

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 02:09:55 PM »
I'm actually not sure where to guide you on this, as I am unable to reproduce the problem.  The only thing I can think of is there is a permission issue with your setup between VA 1.6 and E:D with Steam.  The only workaround I have for you at the moment is to use a previous version of VA until I can get more users to report the same issue so I can find a common problem.

Does VA still crash when you get a process list?