Author Topic: ATTN! Profile changes NOT saved!  (Read 4833 times)

Uvelius_S

ATTN! Profile changes NOT saved!
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:40:32 PM »
Today, I spent around two hours of customizing commands, setting command strings and so forth. In a profile that I had created in the 1.5 beta and which worked fine with 1.6 as well.
All fine and well. I even exported the profile for safety's sake. During the session, all worked fine, even with closing VA and restarting it. Ingame checks worked like a charm.
I shut down the computer, was very very happy. 

Now I log into my computer, start Voice Attack, and you know what? All (i mean ALL) changes are just pretty simply gone.
Not there.
Never done.
Like I dreamt that stuff up.
Even in the exported profile, which has the correct time stamp of the time of exporting after all changes were applied, none of the changes shows. It is understatement to say that I would be annoyed.

HELP please. Could that be some kind of weird cache error? How to recover those hours of customizing?

Oh and I still experience issues with keyboard toggle wouldn't work (NumLock or SCR Lock).

Win 10, Elite: Dangerous Horizons.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:44:50 PM by Uvelius_S »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: ATTN! Profile changes NOT saved!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 12:57:05 PM »
You can have a look in "%APPDATA%/VoiceAttack/Backup/" where previous copies of the profile database are kept to see if a file timestamped around the time you made the changes is present, rename that file to "VoiceAttack.dat", and move it to the directory above("%APPDATA%/VoiceAttack/"). Though you may want to back up the current "VoiceAttack.dat" file first.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:02:26 PM »
This is an absolutely atypical issue.  I would check the %APPDATA%/VoiceAttack/ location (where Pfeil has indicated) and make sure that your VoiceAttack.dat file is not being affected by another application.

Uvelius_S

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 12:37:13 AM »
Thanks for the input!
I found an exported version that didn't show up before (blame Windows or probably me being blind) which included the updated commands.

I also tried to trace why the editings had vanished. What I see is that if you set VA from normal permissions to "Run as Administrator", all profiles vanish from the VA profile chooser, only the basic "My profile" remains.
Then again, after changing permissions two or three times to check on it, I imported the updated last profile, which worked well. So there was only "My Profile" and "Updated Profile" in the chooser.

I continued to work on it, tried it, closed and reopened it and all was well.
Suddenly, also the older profiles that had vanished when switching permissions turned up in teh VA profile chooser again.

Even more important:
The backup .dat files seems to have been erased, as it seems, when i switched permissions. There were only those from the current session present (I searched the computer for other instances yet none turned up aside from those).

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Now, when you ran VA as an administrator, did you actually LOG IN as an administrator?  If you logged in as a different user, you definitely would get a blank set of .dat files (.dat files are per-user).

Uvelius_S

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 12:44:45 AM »
Ah! Stupid me. So it is actually that Windows does not only assign Admin permissions , but treats the App as if run by the Admin profile itself.
Even so ... it seemed to me VA did erase the existing profiles when changing to Run as Admin? Shouldn't they be preserved for the normal user?

Just a suggestion, it might be a good idea to include the "blank profile" feature in the warning message that turns up when running VA in normal user mode.
Thanks!

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »
Thanks for the update.  This is expected behavior if you switch Windows users, but not if you just run the application as an administrator.  I've had this project going since 2009 and this is the first time I've heard of profiles just being, 'erased', so I can only assume that there is something about your setup that is just not accounted for in VA.

Uvelius_S

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:44:54 AM »
Thanks! I am running a fairly standard Win 10 build, no special tweaks overall, with Avira as virus protection but no special memory / space tweak tools; the admin account is separate from the normal user account, that's all. Just FYI.