Author Topic: Access to Synology NAS with VoiceAttack  (Read 2421 times)

JackoJ

Access to Synology NAS with VoiceAttack
« on: December 24, 2023, 08:26:04 AM »
Maybe someone has the solution that may have to do with both my NAS Synology 710+ and VoiceAttack:
I am trying to launch an Excel file on my NAS via VoiceAttack (see Screenshot).

Excel displays the message "We could not find ""filename"" .....""
Ultimately, this is not possible because the NAS password is requested and entered again and again for each individual file.

Why might VoiceAttack also have something to do with this?
I have another program called TouchPortal, which I also use to open these files based on macros per keybinding. There without any problems and without having to enter a password every time.

If I copy the file I want to open to a directory on the internal hard disk, the file is opened without any problems.

Does anyone have any ideas about this and have they had a similar problem?

I can't find anywhere on the NAS where I can allow access to a single program.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Access to Synology NAS with VoiceAttack
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 08:32:01 AM »
Does the same thing happen when you provide the full path to the file, instead of setting the working directory?

If Excel is set as the default handler for the type of file you're trying to open, another option could be to specify the file with its full path in the first field (leaving parameters and working directory blank)

JackoJ

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 03:04:20 AM »
Yes, I have tried everything.

If I (after receiving the message from Excel and pressing away) tap "Open" and "Browse" on the last correct path displayed, the file does not open, but the folder C:\Windows\System32.
If I enter the correct path to the file under "Browse" in the Excel window that is now open, the window opens to log in to the NAS (but I had already logged in).

I experience this kind of behavior when I have accidentally not yet logged on to the NAS and try to open a file on the NAS.
Of course, in this case I have logged on to the NAS via Explorer.
It also doesn't help if I assign a drive letter to a folder on the NAS and link to it.

However, it is strange that another program (TouchPortal), in which I refer to the path, does not have this problem.

Remark:
On the NAS, I do not need to allow access to any specific program.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 03:06:40 AM »
Are you running VoiceAttack as administrator? If so, are you entering credentials when you do, I.E. is VoiceAttack running under a different user account than the one you normally access the NAS with?

JackoJ

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 04:06:07 AM »
By the way, it's not just VoiceAttack.

For example, if I start VLC and want to access a folder on the NAS, I also have to enter the password for my NAS, even though I am already logged in via Explorer.

Why this doesn't happen with TouchPortal - even though I have tens of years of Windows and NAS experience, it's a mystery to me.

Synology Support also had no idea what the VLC problem (already on my older PC) could be.

JackoJ

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 04:07:35 AM »
Sorry, I didn't answer your questions:
Yes, I run VoiceAttack as an administrator.
When you start, the normal UAC query comes up and that's it.
I only use everything under my admin account.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 04:10:14 AM »
Have you tried not running VoiceAttack as administrator, to check whether that makes a difference?

Even if it's supposed to be the same account, if you elevate to admin, that application won't have access to network shares, at least those mapped to drive letters (that being what I've personally run into in the past).

JackoJ

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 04:03:38 AM »
I tried to remove the admin status from VoiceAttack based on your suggestion.
But it makes no difference.
The problem persists, regardless of whether I use a drive letter for a folder on the NAS or not.

I think it even worked once when I set it up about 2 weeks ago.
After that, however, there was a Windows update.

To summarize again:
I have logged on to my NAS.
When I then try to open a file via VoiceAttack, the program tells me that it has not found the file.

If I then click on "Browse" in the same Excel window in which the message appears and enter the NAS path to the file, I am asked to log in.

This means that the program tries to open the path to the NAS, but does not get permission and then switches to a folder in the local area and declares that it has not found the file.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 09:16:33 AM »
Since TouchPortal is a remote access application, I'm going to take a wild guess that TouchPortal is probably running as a service on your computer and not as a desktop application.  That service will have specific rights that were given to it at some point that would allow access to the NAS - this will either be by the service configuration or by permissions given to the executable.  This is why VoiceAttack, VLC and other desktop applications running under the current user's security context are behaving differently.  You will need to figure out what rights the service has been granted and then try to replicate those rights for your desktop applications if possible.