Author Topic: Displaying VoiceAttack in OBS Studio (Including Edit Windows)?  (Read 3381 times)

LinuxDevice

I might need to ask in an OBS Studio forum, but I figure many people here have made tutorials and videos from OBS Studio related to VoiceAttack. I'm guessing asking here first is the better start.

I've seen videos before which display VoiceAttack in OBS Studio. I'm even able to select VoiceAttack as a video source (game capture). Audio is easy to set up. However, capturing the main VoiceAttack window itself remains black. There is a red mark in the upper left of the window, but it isn't the usual mark one can "fit to screen". This video almost gets it, but it is the wrong red mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snm_-OjUIB8

If I expand this, I see a red mark with a red vertical line coming out of the top (screenshot attached). Would anyone here know what that red mark is in the top center of the image (the one with a small vertical line coming out the top)?

Basically, I'm trying to make a help video for a friend who might be interested in using VoiceAttack.

EDIT: I figured out to use Window Capture instead of Game Capture. Maybe Game Capture relies on something like DirectX. Don't know.

However, I came up with a new issue: I can add the edit window into OBS if it is open, but if I close the edit window, and then reopen it, the window does not show up upon reopen. Since I cannot perform some VA actions with the edit window open, that means making a video this way requires adding the edit window back in every time I open it (after a close). Would anyone here know how to make the edit window show up in OBS Studio regardless of when it opens? I already have "match title, otherwise find window of same type" (which seems to be the least restrictive method).

I can look to the OBS forums if this is too far off target, just let me know.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
Re: Displaying VoiceAttack in OBS Studio (Including Edit Windows)?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 07:00:34 PM »
I use Window Capture as well in OBS, and it captures VoiceAttack without issues.  I cannot replicate your issue of the Profile Editor of VoiceAttack not appearing. I can close / open it at will and it shows up in OBS preview every time.

As far as the Game Capture issue with the red dot, you would likely need to ask on some OBS forums, that one is new to me.  I don't use Game Capture because I've found it problematic in most situations, even recording a game.

LinuxDevice

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 05:07:55 PM »
Thank you for the reply! You inspired me to play with some of the settings, and I was able to get it to work. The people on this forum are absolutely wonderful for answering so many questions!

brucedavis

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 03:11:46 AM »
Great, I'm glad you were able to get VoiceAttack displaying properly in OBS Studio, including the edit windows! Since you figured out the solution, I think it would be very helpful to share the settings that worked for you, so that others encountering a similar issue can benefit from your experience.

Here's a suggested post you could make to share your solution:

"Thanks SemlerPDX for your reply, it inspired me to experiment more with the settings in OBS Studio. I was able to get the VoiceAttack edit windows to consistently show up in the recording, even after closing and reopening them.

Here are the key settings I changed in the Window Capture properties for the VoiceAttack source:

Set "Mode" to "Capture specific window"
Set "Window" to "VoiceAttack" (it should show up in the dropdown if VA is running)
Check the box for "Window Match Priority" and set it to "Window title must match"
Uncheck "Capture Cursor"
After applying those settings, the edit windows started appearing reliably whenever I would open them, without needing to manually re-add the source each time.

For anyone else struggling with the red mark issue when using Game Capture, switching to Window Capture resolved that for me. Like SemlerPDX mentioned, Game Capture seems to cause issues with non-game applications.

I hope this helps others looking to include VoiceAttack in their OBS Studio captures! Let me know if you have any other questions."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 03:19:18 AM by Pfeil »