Author Topic: Multiplayer issues  (Read 1670 times)

Paw_broon

Multiplayer issues
« on: May 14, 2023, 01:04:08 AM »
Hi
Using discord in msfs with Vr on occulus Quest 2.
In multiplayer mode my friends audio delivered to the quest speakers triggers commands on my sim.

We are using the same profile .  So when he says eg  “menu”  it open his menu and mine. Or if he says “centre”
My screen centers as well
Other than using completely different commands is there a fix for this?

Tried lowering the quests volumes  but that only marginally helps.
Im assuming the quests mics are picking up his voice and voice attack is acting on his voice.
Regards Brian

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Multiplayer issues
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 01:27:05 AM »
The speech recognition system is designed to recognize speech, so if your microphone is picking up spoken commands, regardless of the source, the speech recognition engine is going to process them.

It does seem strange that the Quest 2 has apparently been designed in such a manner that the speaker output gets picked up by the built-in microphone.

I personally have no experience with that device (I have a Rift CV1, which does not have this issue), however a quick search engine query does suggest this can be an issue in multiple applications.

If it is not feasible to switch to a different audio solution (it appears there are both closed over-ear headphones and in-ear earbuds available from third-party manufacturers) that would not "leak" sound like the built-in speakers, you could consider using push-to-talk for VoiceAttack itself, assuming you have a button on your physical controls available.
Ideally you would combine that with push-to-deafen for Discord, so that its sound output stops while your are issuing commands.

Paw_broon

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 05:50:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply,   Usually when a mic picks up its own speaker output we get sing around ( positive feedback )
In this case discord has muted the mic whilst receiving audio so no audio loop, but voice attack is still listening.

As you say a push to talk for use with just voice attack commands should work ,  however using voice activation is about avoiding pressing buttons esp in VR.
The best  solution will be  to use separate headphones or ear buds to isolate the feedback.

Maybe the mic sensitivity on the oculus quest 2  can be reduced ?  There might be a setting , not sure.

Brian

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 06:41:29 AM »
Not sensitivity in the sense of how much background noise is picked up, but assuming it's a relatively normal recording device, the volume can be lowered, though that can negatively impact recognition.

Note that the speech recognition engine will adjust the microphone volume to the level determined to be appropriate when using the microphone setup wizard, so if you manually adjust the volume, starting the speech recognition engine will override that (this is something the Microsoft speech recognition system does, not VoiceAttack itself).

That can be disabled by checking the "Prevent Speech Engine From Changing Microphone Volume" option on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, which is a shortcut to a Windows setting (and as such would affect all applications using the SAPI speech recognition system).
Though keep in mind that the volume adjustment is performed by default for good reason; input volume is an important factor for accurate recognition.