Author Topic: Keyboard & Mouse Emulator?  (Read 1238 times)

Ras

Keyboard & Mouse Emulator?
« on: April 18, 2023, 03:39:05 PM »
As the subject says! I'd like to know if this VA can be used as an emulator for Keyboard & Mouse?
I'm an old school guy coming off from Pinnacle Game Profiler (PGP) and Xpadder (2010-2018). Those are software which emulates both Keyboard and Mouse.
PGP and Voice Attack have almost the same features, since I now discovered Voice Attack. The difference with Voice Attack is the "voice commands" which is a cut above the rest.
However I don't have a head phone and is accustomed playing old games with an emulator using my Microsoft XBox 360 wired controller.
So as the question above; Can this be used as a Keyboard & Mouse emulator without Voice Commands? Thanks in advance.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Keyboard & Mouse Emulator?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 03:45:30 PM »
Commands can be triggered by keyboard keys, mouse button clicks, or joystick button presses, in addition to speech recognition (and a few other, more niche methods).

There are actions to produce keyboard keypresses, mouse button presses, and mouse movement.
Pressing buttons on an existing joystick/gamepad device is not supported by their APIs (this is not VoiceAttack-specific), however there is a plugin that enables VoiceAttack to control a vJoy device.

There is a demo version available, both on the website and Steam, which you could use to test these features.

Ras

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 12:17:38 AM »
Thanks Pfeil. Sorry to get back so late with this, but work have me busy. The thing about what you mentioned about the "APIs"...So what you're saying is if I have a headphone and use the attached profile with voice commands...it will work...right?
So Voice Attack recognizes Keyboard and Mouse and will send voice commands per key that is used for the game?
I have an attached profile which you can analyze. It's an old game which I have the full version. GOG has made the game available on their website Expendable (1999). Yes it plays well on Windows 11.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 12:38:46 AM »
What I mentioned regarding APIs pertains to joysticks (using DirectInput) and gamepads (using XInput, E.G. an XBox controller), specifically. Not to other input methods.

I'm saying exactly what I wrote: You can have VoiceAttack send keyboard and mouse input, but you cannot have VoiceAttack (or other applications) press a button on an existing (E.G. physical) joystick or gamepad.

If you have a microphone that connects to your computer, you would likely be able to use speech recognition.

Depending on the language of your Windows installation, you may need to install a language pack for Windows that includes a working speech recognition engine first (or install the Speech Platform 11 framework and an engine, if Microsoft hasn't made a SAPI engine in  the language you're looking to speak available)

So Voice Attack recognizes Keyboard and Mouse and will send voice commands per key that is used for the game?
If you're asking whether VoiceAttack can use speech recognition to recognize a spoken command, and send keyboard and/or mouse input to a given target application when said command is recognized, yes.

The profile you have attached may largely work, though for games 10ms (0.01s) may be too fast for reliable input (though given that you're referring to a game that's quite old, that may actually respond to input quicker and/or more reliably than some modern games).

The commands in the "walk" category don't seem to be configured correctly, however, as by having the "When I press keys" option set to the same key the command presses would effectively block your physical keyboard keys from working correctly.
If you were to press, for example, the "W" key on your keyboard, that would send a "W" press to the application that is currently receiving input, then immediately trigger the VoiceAttack command, which in turn sends another "W" press, waits ~10ms, and then sends a "W" release, effectively having nearly the same effect as releasing your physical keyboard key.

If you have a need to perform movement using spoken commands, you'd want to have the movement command hold down the key for you (and have another command to stop holding them down).
If you intend to move using the keyboard instead, there should be no need to have any of those commands at all.