Author Topic: Window move also resizes window  (Read 1626 times)

Terekhov

Window move also resizes window
« on: January 06, 2023, 02:59:21 AM »
Hi, Happy new year!

I'm experiencing an issue where upon issuing a Window move command, the window not only moves but also resizes to slightly smaller than its previous size. Issue the command several times, and each time the window shrinks slightly! Additionally on one application, the drawing area within the moved/resized window seems to shrink to smaller than the window itself, leaving a black border around the content (which does not increase in width on repeated actions).

The initial application that I wish to use this on is Elite Dangerous ("ED" hereafter) which I run within a normal Windows Window at a smaller resolution than my screen. It is ED which gains the extra border around the content inside the window (in addition to the Window resizing to that slightly smaller size). I have not yet enumerated the exact size of the shrink, but it's in the order of 10 pixels or so and seems constant, and is both x and y axes. Moving the window around by dragging the title bar with the mouse works perfectly normal in all respects.

Thinking this might be an oddity with ED, I tried it against the Windows inbuilt Photo app. I launched a .jpg from my desktop and used VA to move the resultant window. Again the window moved and slightly shrunk (by the same amount). In this case however the content did not gain a border within the window itself. Again repeated window moves resulted in repeated shrinks.

The macro contains only one action ("Perform a Window Function" / "Move Window") and (whilst it should not matter) the client window is fully within the screen. Windows is Win10 pro 21H2, VA is 1.10.3.

Any ideas?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Window move also resizes window
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 03:07:16 AM »
What are the scaling options for your displays set to?

Open the Windows settings app, choose "System", then on the "Display" tab look for the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" dropdown in the "Scale and layout" section, and see what the percentage is.

If you have more than one display, click the rectangles with the numbers in them at the top of the page to switch between the settings for each, and note those percentages as well.

Terekhov

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 03:19:40 AM »
So fast reply! - Thanks.

Two displays, both have 100% for the scaling. Both are 1920 x 1080.

"Because Windows"(tm)... Display "2" is the primary display and is to the left of Display 1. All this fun is happening on display 2.

I can test on a second PC as well but not for several hours.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 03:25:04 AM »
I see what you mean, happens on my machine as well (my primary display is 1, no scaling applied either). I'll pass that along to the developer