Author Topic: help with thruster idea  (Read 1861 times)

cargorunner1969

help with thruster idea
« on: November 02, 2022, 02:09:26 AM »
having some trouble with holding thrust buttons down while targeting in elite dangerous. i'm using a thrustmaster hotas.

my thinking would be to get voiceattack to apply thrust (left, right, up, down) for x amounts of seconds while i do the targeting but frankly i havent got a clue how to do it.

any ideas out there?

TIA.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: help with thruster idea
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 01:42:47 PM »
If you're referring to virtually pressing a button on your joystick device, that is not possible.

The DirectInput API is not designed to allow that type of interaction. This is not a VoiceAttack-specific limitation.

Given that, as far as I'm aware from second-hand information, Elite:Dangerous allows at least two inputs to be bound to the same ingame action, you could map keyboard keys to the relevant controls in addition to your HOTAS, and use VoiceAttack commands to press those.

Terekhov

Re: help with thruster idea
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 01:07:10 AM »
Yes, Elite allows TWO things to be bound to each function in the bindings menus. Any combination of keys/joystick buttons/controller buttons.

In addition to this there are multiple ways to control thrust. You use analogue axis to set absolute throttle values, set various preset throttle values (0%/100%/75% etc.) on button presses. Look under "Flight Throttle" in the keybindings. You can  also have two different. You can use more than one of those thrust methods simultaneously. For example I use absolute analogue throttle sometimes, joystick buttons for 100%/0%/75%, and separate thrusters in various situations. It's very versatile (albeit confusing until you figure out what works  for you)

Assuming that you are looking that targeting an opponent, there are keybinds will that do various typrs of target. For example, there is one for target ahead, another for target highest threat etc. My recommendation would be to use VA to activate those (as opposed to interrupting your flight controls). For example I have a simple "Target highest threat" VA command that simply presses that key. If I get interdicted, I continue to manoeuvre as normal and just say"target highest threat.