Author Topic: the application won't start for me  (Read 2653 times)

VerkoSK

the application won't start for me
« on: October 24, 2022, 02:49:11 PM »
when I want to turn on voice attack, I can only see the application in the task manager and in alt+tab I tried to uninstall and install and restart it several times, but when I turned it on the first time, it worked great on the trial version, but after a while it failed and since then I it does not want to start, please help me, thank you for the answers

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: the application won't start for me
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 03:10:30 PM »
It's very important that you're honest about this: Have you, at any point in time, installed a "cracked" version of VoiceAttack on your machine?

VerkoSK

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 03:30:40 PM »
I admit that yes but it was a long time ago so a year ago now I installed the official version from which I became what I wrote and it also went through the slozky appdata/local, program files and I didn't send anything from voiceattack anymore but even after reinstalling the official version for free it didn't work.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 03:47:25 PM »
Aha. That does match previous cases of this exact issue.

At some point whatever the "crack" alters on your system, will stop VoiceAttack from working entirely.

Removing any files VoiceAttack itself creates or are installed by the official installer, and as such essentially starting over with nothing created by VoiceAttack.com present on the system, did nothing to change that, in any of those previous cases.

The only known solution is a reinstallation of Windows itself. Repair-installing may also work.

You are of course free to also try (re)moving the mentioned files.

VoiceAttack's uninstaller should remove the contents of the the installation directory that were initially installed, but if there are any user-created or third-party files, those and the directory itself may remain.
So move those to a safe location, if you intend to use any third-party addons that may have stored user configuration data there. Otherwise delete the installation directory (only after uninstalling VoiceAttack)

There is a configuration file, under %localappdata%\VoiceAttack.com
If you'd like to keep your settings for later, move those as well, otherwise delete the VoiceAttack.com directory.

Your profiles are stored in a database, alongside backups of that database, and potentially a database file containing your text-to-speech effects. Those are stored in %Appdata%\VoiceAttack
If you have any profiles and/or TTS effects you'd like to keep, move the folder, otherwise delete it.

After that you can try installing VoiceAttack again, but as mentioned that has not worked for anyone else.

You can also run a system file scan, just in case.