Author Topic: Insert key question  (Read 1505 times)

Marrauder

Insert key question
« on: July 14, 2022, 08:03:34 PM »
Hi there, been using VA for many years now and must say I love the new build with dark mode. I have an eye condition that is effected by bright white and the new version is great.

Now on to my query, I, as a vision impaired person use VA  to automate many tasks on my PC. This makes my life easier, I am now trying to set up some commands to go with my screen reader software, called Jaws. The problem I am having is with the Insert key on the keyboard. Jaws uses this key, as it's command key, so basically anything I want to do with Jaws, I have to hold Insert then press other keys at the same time.

The problem I am having, when I try to make a command is that nothing I try will hold the Insert key, as being pressed.  So what I have tried is by selecting a keypress, I then select Insert and I then select the radio box for press key, I think is second choice, I then add another key press for the additional keys I need to press at the same time as Insert is presssed. I then add the Insert key again and select release. But this does not work, it is like the Insert key is not held.

I then tried the same thing again, but this time I selected the toggle key radio box and then after the additional key presses I added the insert key again with the toggle again to turn it off. But again this did not work.

Basically at the moment all I want it to do is press and hold Insert down then press space bar. But nothing I tried worked, anyone got any ideas why it does not work.

TIA

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Insert key question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 08:19:55 PM »
Hi, Maurrauder

You'll want to give this a try:

Press Insert Down
Pause 0.1 second
Press Space Down
Pause 0.1 second
Release Space
Pause 0.1 second
Release Insert

It could be that your pauses need to be included.  Let me know if that helps or not!

Marrauder

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 09:52:01 PM »
Hi Gary
Thanks for the response, I had tried a similar command, but I tried the command, just as you suggested. I opened a txt file to see the key presses. But as the insert key does nothing it does not show, but the space definitely fires. But unfortunately it does not have the desired effect in Jaws. When I manually hold Insert and press space bar whilst running Jaws I get a notification sound to tell me the command was successful. But when the command runs in VA, there is no notification at all. It is like VA does not actually hold the insert key down. If only it was a command key like Shift, Alt, Windows and Ctrl keys. maybe it would work. But this command we have tried should work too. Disappointing I cannot get it to work.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 09:56:13 PM »
Have you tried running VoiceAttack as administrator?

VoiceAttack is making an API call to Windows to register the key as pressed, but that doesn't necessarily mean all applications use that information.

Marrauder

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 10:08:55 PM »
Hi Pfeil
Thank you for response, I had not thought of that, but just ran as administrator and run the command and still no joy.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 10:10:40 PM »
Having a look at the documentation for that application, it mentions the use of the Numpad Insert key. Is your VoiceAttack command pressing the Insert key, or is it pressing the Numpad 0 key?

Marrauder

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 10:20:22 PM »
When I create the command I press the button to select a key press, I then press the Insert key on my keyboard to select it and in the key selection it says Insert. At no point do I go near the numpad.

But After your previous post I thought I would test the same keys with a different program. I used the windows default screen reader "Narrator" and it uses the same key press for a different command. But in Narrator it works, so I guess this means that Jaws does not register the keypress from VA is this correct? and is there any way to fix it if it is?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 10:41:51 PM »
Have you tried increasing the pause lengths?   It would be very odd if Jaws was actually rejecting virtual input o_O

Marrauder

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 10:42:55 PM »
I also tested the command using the numpad 0 which when selected says it is numpad insert, but in Jaws, still no response.

Guess will just keep forming pretzels with my fingers lol but thanks heaps for the quick responses and the great program

Marrauder

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 10:52:16 PM »
Have you tried increasing the pause lengths?   It would be very odd if Jaws was actually rejecting virtual input o_O

Yes I have tried with up to 1 sec pause, no difference, but Narrator works immediately with 200ms pause. I am guessing Jaws just is not getting the key press. I am going to try change the command key in Jaws to something else like Caps Lock and see what that does

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 10:55:20 PM »
I installed the software on my machine, and can confirm that it doesn't respond to simulated Insert keypresses.

VoiceAttack uses standard Windows API functions to simulate keypresses, which works with applications that accept input in a normal manner.
The developers of "Jaws" are apparently using an input system that does not respond to that input method, so unfortunately they would need to be the ones to change that.

Marrauder

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 11:12:15 PM »
I installed the software on my machine, and can confirm that it doesn't respond to simulated Insert keypresses.

VoiceAttack uses standard Windows API functions to simulate keypresses, which works with applications that accept input in a normal manner.
The developers of "Jaws" are apparently using an input system that does not respond to that input method, so unfortunately they would need to be the ones to change that.

Thank you Pfeil you go above and beyond to help, appreciate your assistance. I am guessing they would not change it, so guess pretzel fingers is me lol