Author Topic: DCS - VoiceAttack "Listen" Hotkey not working in DCS 2.7. [Solved]  (Read 4216 times)

Hawk_UK

I assigned a hotkey(Left-Ctrl) to toggle the VoiceAttack Listen on and off when pressed, but when I start DCS World 2.7  and press the hotkey, I hear the sound for the key being pressed but when I speak any command it will not activate any commands whatsoever.

I then tried disabling the hotkey for activating the VoiceAttack Listen, and then all my commands were being recognised and actioned-on again as per normal in DCS World.

I can only presume this is a bug hence I'm reporting it here. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:51:08 PM by Hawk_UK »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: DCS - VoiceAttack "Listen" Hotkey not working in DCS.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 05:07:03 PM »
Are you using any third-party plugins, E.G. VAICOM?

If so, did you configure this hotkey according to that third-party product's instructions?

Hawk_UK

Re: DCS - VoiceAttack "Listen" Hotkey not working in DCS.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 05:09:16 PM »
Are you using any third-party plugins, E.G. VAICOM?

If so, did you configure this hotkey according to that third-party product's instructions?

No plugins at all. Just bought VoiceAttack on STEAM, so it's a perfectly fresh from the factory install mate.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: DCS - VoiceAttack "Listen" Hotkey not working in DCS 2.7.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 05:11:43 PM »
Which settings did you use to configure this hotkey?

Did it function while the game was not running?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 05:16:49 PM »
Have you tried any key other than left control @Hawk_UK?  It's possible that DCS may have that key hooked for some other purpose.

Hawk_UK

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »
Which settings did you use to configure this hotkey?

Did it function while the game was not running?

Options/Hotkeys/Recognition Global Hotkey

Yes VA does recognise my spoken commands while DCS World is not running.

Hawk_UK

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 05:19:38 PM »
Have you tried any key other than left control @Hawk_UK?  It's possible that DCS may have that key hooked for some other purpose.

I will give that a try now..... I'll let you know here in a minute.

Hawk_UK

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 05:31:26 PM »

I will give that a try now..... I'll let you know here in a minute.

Thank you @Gary.... Your suggestion worked! :)
It is now working again, though as far as I know, DCS only uses the Ctrl key as a modifier to other key commands and not as a single command in itself..... So maybe something still for the dev to look into??

Thanks again for your help Gary and Pfeil.... much appreciated guys! :)

Hawk_UK

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 01:20:09 AM »
I've opened up this thread again as an ongoing issue because although choosing a character letter key from the keyboard works around this issue, I just tried to bind my HOTAS Joystick Button(10) to toggle the VoiceAttack "Listen" action and it's simply not actioning on any voice commands while running in DCS World at all..... The button is functioning as far as activating the VoiceAttack "Listen" function and recognising my listed commands but it's not actioning in DCS on any voice commands I speak...... Again, if I bind a keyboard letter character key to this function then it works fine again.

This is obviously a bug and does need looking into by the devs. Thanks.

For ref, I'm using a Thrustmaster "T.Flight HOTAS X" joystick/throttle controller.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: DCS - VoiceAttack "Listen" Hotkey not working in DCS 2.7. [Ongoing Issue]
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 09:20:54 AM »
Are commands recognized but seemingly not having an ingame effect, or are they not recognized at all (I.E. there is no "Recognized:" entry in the log on VoiceAttack's main window)?

If it's the former, how did you assign your joystick button in VoiceAttack?

If the former is what was happening previously, note that holding down a modifier key while keypress actions are running would result in that modifier applying to those keypresses. E.G. if you're holding down left Ctrl while a keypress action presses the "G" key, that would be interpreted by the target application as left Ctrl-G

Modifier keys cannot be prevented from getting through to a target application, this is a Windows limitation not specific to VoiceAttack.

Hawk_UK

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 10:46:01 PM »
Hi Pfeil, thanks for your reply....

As you can see from the captured image of the VoiceAttack Log which was made while in DCS giving those voice commands logged, the commands given were recognised but not actioned at all in DCS while the #10 joystick button was bound to the voiceAttack "Listen" function and held down, as you can see from the log.

I have also included in the image the setting for how I set-up the joystick #10 button to act as the hotkey for the VoiceAttack "Listen" function.

The joystick #10 button is nothing special to any other button on the joystick, it's not a modifier-button, so it should work, yes?

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 11:12:57 PM »
If you disable the "Enable joystick global buttons" option, enable listening manually so it remains enabled, run the game, hold down that same joystick button, and speak a command, does the command have any effect ingame?

If you physically press the key the command would be pressing while you hold down the joystick button, does that have the expected effect ingame?

If you open the "CONTROLS" tab of the settings in DCS, choose the aircraft your commands are intended for in the top-left dropdown, and execute a command, does a blue highlight jump to the relevant binding in the list?

If you click the "Modifiers" button on that same tab, near the bottom left, just above the "CANCEL" button, are there any joystick buttons listed?

How long are your keypress actions holding the keys down? Have you tried running VoiceAttack as administrator?

Hawk_UK

Re: DCS - VoiceAttack "Listen" Hotkey not working in DCS 2.7. [Solved]
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 11:40:54 PM »
I do apologise...... I followed your instructions for finding the modifier keys/buttons being used in DCS for the plane I'm using and the #10 joystick button was added as a modifier button; my apologies mate.  :o  :-[

I assigned another joystick button that wasn't added as a modifier in DCS and it's working fine now....

I do seriously apologise mate, I feel as though I've been unintentionally messing you about, but at least we've got the issue sorted now and also understand why it occurred in the first place..... I hope this thread maybe of some help to others who come across the same issues that I did.  ;)

Thank you for all your help here and your time in helping me to find a solution for my issue, much appreciated, Pfeil.  ;D 8)

Regards.