Author Topic: Microphone Muted/No Signal [maybe solved?]  (Read 1792 times)

Mute_point

Microphone Muted/No Signal [maybe solved?]
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:19:59 AM »
After a March Windows update I had some serious problems with VA thinking it could not hear anything through the microphone. After a variety of random troubleshooting steps (I'm not much of a Windows person) I finally unplugged the Rift S and plugged it back in and that seemed to settle everything. I went back to Elite Dangerous.

Just this morning, in the middle of a session, VA decided it no longer had any signal from the microphone. Unlike the last time however, I could independently verify that the microphone was working in Windows (Voice Recorder worked; Microphone test showed audio levels). I rebooted, checked drivers, etc. What did finally fix it was I disabled the Oculus Virtual Audio Device as a microphone (in Settings/Manage sound devices), and as soon as I did that, VA could "hear" again via the regular Headset Microphone on the Rift S.

I don't know where the Oculus Virtual Audio Device came from. I don't know if it was there before the March updates or not (it was several updates). AND when I re-enabled the virtual device VA continued to work. So...go figure.

Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, I recommend disabling the Oculus Virtual Audio Device as a microphone and see if VA starts working.

mistermannindy

Re: Microphone Muted/No Signal [maybe solved?]
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:05:45 PM »
Thank you SO much for posting this!  I just experienced the exact same thing.  Not sure what caused the issue, but I couldn't get VA to recognize my mic.  Extremely strange because I use VA almost every day and had used it earlier in the day without any issues.

Once I deactivated my Oculus inputs, VA recognized my mic again!  This has never happened to me before, but I sure am glad you posted your experience.