Author Topic: How Do I? Control spotify while playing elite dangerous?  (Read 3126 times)

CptJohnCle

How Do I? Control spotify while playing elite dangerous?
« on: January 19, 2021, 06:08:37 AM »
I bought this wonderous program yesterday after doing without it for 4 years. Now I am thinking of all the things I can do with this that I made a button box for (Flight sim, Truck sim) but for now I have an issue.

I searched for spotify posts and the latest I found was a year old from Jan 2020.

What I would like to do is start spotify (and not have it take focus over Elite Dangerous - Or any game for that matter) my attempts at opening it hidden or minimized from the run program didnt work.

Then Id like to be able to say "Crank the tunes" and drop Elite to say 70% and make spotify go to 100%. Then have another command "Kill the tunes" which takes spotify to 10% and the game back up to 100%

So simple functionality. Because spotify changes the name of the program when the song changes it no longer works :/

On top of that a Skip to next song would be nice.

How can I accomplish this? Can someone point me in a direction.

Thank you.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: How Do I? Control spotify while playing elite dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »
Have you looked at this plugin?

Starting an application that spawns a window will have that window pull focus; that is standard Windows behavior.
If the above plugin works for you, you could keep Spotify running in the background instead, as it could be paused.

To adjust the volume, you can use the "Set Audio Level" action, and use the process name of the application for targeting by prepending "~", which instructs VoiceAttack to only search process names (E.G. "~spotify", assuming "spotify" is the process name).

CptJohnCle

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 08:40:19 AM »
Thank you for the reply,

I did, that was the post I was referencing that it was a year old. I guess I assumed it was old.

The prepending the ~ sounds like that will work.. The commands worked GREAT when the song didnt change. Ill give it a go.

forward and back songs isnt that big of a deal as I usually have a laptop with Elite info screens up and control spotify from there. I am on day 2 with VA and just going down the rabbit hole.

CptJohnCle

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 09:21:15 AM »
update.. something simple since I am a paid user on this app for one day was preventing the app from starting. Ill write some instructions and post on that other thread since that is the first thing that comes up when you google "Voice attack control spotify"

:D

We will see how good it works now..

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 09:24:01 AM »
Plugins must be placed in their own subfolder of the "Apps" subfolder of the VoiceAttack installation directory. You also need to enable plugin support on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, if you haven't done so already.

VoiceAttack does not generally make breaking changes in updates, so unless something has changed on Spotify's end, it should be functional when configured correctly.

CptJohnCle

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »
hahahahah it works AWESOME..

Volume..
Next
Previous.

yea I didnt have plugins enabled in the app.. of COURSE it didnt work..

I instantly got the authentication screen that I didnt get before and it works great.

Wolfang42

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 06:57:17 PM »
I've tried this Spotify plugin and it does load Spotify with "Launch Spotify" but it also says "expression error."

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »
If you're certain you've followed any and all installation instructions, and the plugin is loaded and running, perhaps Spotify changed their API.

For issues with third-party plugins, you'll want to contact the author.