Author Topic: Audio device selection  (Read 5050 times)

terrydew

Audio device selection
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct place for this so move if needed.
I was trying out the new audio device switching feature, which I really really like, and I became a little confused over the difference between "default device" and "default communications device" as they relate to the new feature. I normally have everything set for only voice to come through my headset and all other sounds come through the speakers. When I tried he new feature in VA it looked like it set the default device and not the default communications device?
In the Windows 7 recording device selection you can set a mic to either the default device or the default communications device. I would expect the speech recognition app to look at the default communications device but it appears to go to the default device.

How does VA deal with the two different types of default device?

Thanks
Terry

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Audio device selection
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
I would expect the speech recognition app to look at the default communications device but it appears to go to the default device.

The "Default Communications Device" is used for "All calls and video call audio", so it shouldn't matter to VoiceAttack for speech recognition.
It's not exposed in the action, but the underlying method has 3 options: "Console", "Multimedia", and "Communications". I believe VoiceAttack uses "Console", which will not modify the communication device setting.

terrydew

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
I would expect the speech recognition app to look at the default communications device but it appears to go to the default device.

The "Default Communications Device" is used for "All calls and video call audio", so it shouldn't matter to VoiceAttack for speech recognition.
It's not exposed in the action, but the underlying method has 3 options: "Console", "Multimedia", and "Communications". I believe VoiceAttack uses "Console", which will not modify the communication device setting.

Thank you for the reply. So will sounds from VA always come through the default playback device and there is no way to get main sounds through speakers and voice (VA sounds) through the headset only?

Terry

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »
VoiceAttack uses the default audio device to do its thing (VoiceAttack uses Windows Media components).  In order to route sound to another channel you might want to try something like Virtual Audio Cable or similar.

terrydew

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
Ok thanks. Will look into those.

Terry