Author Topic: Profile Switching if window/process is not open  (Read 828 times)

daigo1

Profile Switching if window/process is not open
« on: December 16, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
I am trying to enable automatic profile switching so that if I don't have a particular window or process open, then it will automatically switch to a profile. I can only find a way to switch to a profile if a window or process is open.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Profile Switching if window/process is not open
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 06:31:09 PM »
Have you tried a single asterisk, '*' (without quotes), daigo1?

The help document says this:  "...and a single asterisk (‘*’) indicates that the profile is to be switched to if no
other matches have been made (If VoiceAttack is the active window, the profile will not
automatically switch (for obvious reasons))."

I should probably put that in the tooltip.

daigo1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
Have you tried a single asterisk, '*' (without quotes), daigo1?

The help document says this:  "...and a single asterisk (‘*’) indicates that the profile is to be switched to if no
other matches have been made (If VoiceAttack is the active window, the profile will not
automatically switch (for obvious reasons))."

I should probably put that in the tooltip.
Yes, but if the window loses focus, then it switches back to the profile again. For a more concrete example:

Say I have Profile 1 and Profile 2. Also say I have a program, say Program 2. I want Profile 2 activated when Program 2 is running, even if the window loses focus. Otherwise, if Program 2 is not open, then always stay at Profile 1. So Profile 1 is currently my default Profile, and it is what is on 95% of the time. When I start Program 2 though, I want it to switch to Profile 2 for the entire duration it is running, even if the window loses focus. Then if Program 2 is closed, switch back to Profile 1.

However, the current behavior with the asterisk on Profile 1 is that if Program 2 loses focus, then Profile 2 switches to Profile 1 which I do not want.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:35:10 PM »
If you have Profile 1 targeting Program 1 and Profile 2 targeting *, this will work as you want except for when Program 1 is active.   What you are needing would require some priority level settings, which VoiceAttack does not have, unfortunately :( 

Unless I'm missing something (been known to happen).

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 02:41:07 AM »
There is no built-in option to use the presence of a process (or lack thereof), rather than the active window, for automatic profile switching.

To achieve this effect, you'd need to have a command looping in the background that checks whether a process exists (E.G. using the "{PROCESSEXISTS:}" token), and if not switches to another profile, or a plugin that does basically the same thing, but is not bound to a single command or profile.