Author Topic: EDBindTool: Generating VA profiles from Elite Dangerous .binds files  (Read 50552 times)

lavaeolus

Re: EDBindTool: Generating VA profiles from Elite Dangerous .binds files
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »
I have uploaded a zip file with the current developement version that you can test to se if the propblems are located in the installer.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 02:55:50 AM »
lavaeolus, you sir are a star!

thank you

TheThingIs
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »
I have uploaded a zip file with the current developement version that you can test to se if the propblems are located in the installer.

that works like a charm

lavaeolus

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 08:47:54 AM »
Ok, so the problem seems to be connected to the ClickOnce installer. I've already decided to get rid of it. The next version will use another setup tool that produces standard MSI files.  The version I uploaded in the zip file is work in progress.. The converter page should be ok, but don't expect anything from the keymap page. When it is completed you should be able to edit the key mappings to match your keyboard layout. This is required to use all available keys in ED.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »
ok I think I've found a non-locale problem :)

If you set a secondary keybind then you end up with 2 binds named with .primary. WHat would also be better is that if there is a secondary then don't call the first one primary, just tack secondary on to the second one only. The reason for this is that if there is no secondary then the primary doesn't have primary tacked on. So...

Without a secondary you get:
CamTranslateLeft

With a secondary you get:
CamTranslateLeft.Primary
CamTranslateLeft.Primary

What it needs to be when there is a secondary is:
CamTranslateLeft
CamTranslateLeft.Secondary

Hope that makes sense :)

TheThingIs

The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

lavaeolus

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »
I've just uploaded CLI v1.4.0. It includes the bug fix for primary/secondary key and allows to edit the key mappings to use almost every key on your keboard. There is a doc subdirectory containing documentation how to use this new feature.
The GUI version with the new features will follow shortly., It make the editing of the key map very simple. That's about  how to edit. What to edit is a bit more complicated, that is why I made the detailed documentation for this feature.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:52:23 AM by lavaeolus »

lavaeolus

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2016, 05:16:33 AM »
I've just uploaded v1.4.0 of the GUI version.
It has no installer, just unpack it to a directory and run EliteDangerousBindingsTool.exe and your clear to go.
You should not unpack it to "Program files" or "Program files x86" unless you are prepared to deal with write access rights.

This version uses an external file to map ED keys to Windows keys. Now it is possible to customize, which ED key name is mapped to which windows key name, allowing you to use almost all keys on your keyboard.
Refer to the doc directory for detailed documentation about the key map feature.
The program has a new "keymap" page to edit key mappings.
If in the process you find any new ED key name or create a complete DefaultKeyMap.csv file for a country specific keyboard layout, please send them to me, I will include them in the program.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:58:26 AM by lavaeolus »

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 03:25:36 AM »
wow, you've put some serious thought and effort into this, well done!

No issues so far :)

lavaeolus

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »
I've just posted a new version, which works with ED 2.2 and the new keyboard bindings it brings. In fact it should work with all future versions of ED, as long as the basic structure of the binding file does not change.

I have rewritten the bindings parser. Instead of using a XSD schema for the bindings xml, which has to be changed each time a new command is added, I now parse all elements below the root element dynamically to retrieve the commands on the fly.

As always, let me know if there are any issues with the program.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »
Seems to be working great with 2.2. Thanks for the update :)

lavaeolus

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2016, 08:36:53 AM »
I've just added CLI version 1.6.0 to the initial post. This is e special version for the MultiCrew VA profile by TheThingIs.
It has two new options:

--preprocess - generates as csv-file which can be edited and then converted to a vap-file in another run of
edbindtool, with the csv-file as parameter instead of the .binds-file. I am not shure if this is usefull, but the csv-file generated in by --preprocess can be used as command-reference for the second new option, which should be useful.

--include=filename - adds commands from a csv-file to the generated .vap-file. This can be used to create a reference to another command instead of supplying the actual key-names.

Look at this example:

Category;Name;ActionType;Device;Duration;Key;Modifier;Description
ED Keyboard Bindings included;((Up Thrusters 8s));PressKey;Keyboard;8.00;{UpThrustButton};;
Macro Part;((UI Up 6s));PressKey;Keyboard;2.00;{UI_Up};;Part of the request docking macro

@TheThingIs
This should look familiar to you as it shows two commands, which had to be edited manually in your profile until now ;)
 since the commands have individual durations. Now, when you import the generated .vap-file into your profile the commands do not have to be edited any more.

The resources directory in the programs archive contains a template file and an example for include-files.
In the docs directory is a readme-file with a short explanation of the new features.

I've not made this out of sheer friendliness ;)  . I'm rather selfish with this, as I recently bought some voice-packs, which I plan to use with your profile.

As usually let me know if you have problems with the new version.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:40:17 AM by lavaeolus »

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »
lavaeolos, what can I say, superb m8, superb and thank you :)

lavaeolus

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »
Let me know, if there is any specific functionality you'd like to have :)

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2016, 06:23:49 PM »
Working great so far. I've managed to create the .csv to export the long keypresses fine.

There are just 2 commands left as these use mouse presses. They don't have to be mouse presses as a user could bind them to a joystick or pad. Is there any way to get those out too? They are <HeadLookToggle> and <SecondaryFire>

lavaeolus

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2016, 01:10:41 AM »
I'll look into adding event conditions "When i press keys", "When I press button" and "When I press mouse button". But since the user should be able to choose these, it also requires some kind of user interaction, which is a bit beyond the CLI. So I either have to change the GUI version or add a new wizard/setup like user interface.
I Also will look into adding the generated .vap-file directly to another .vap-file instead of importing it, but this requires manipulation of a .vap-file instead of just generating one from the scratch and is more difficult.
It may take a little time to implement those new features.

Edt: I was thinking in the wrong direction. The remaining actions are already in the binds file, so I just have to generate the right "when" condition, without any user interaction, am I right?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:32:12 AM by lavaeolus »

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2016, 05:35:50 AM »
I believe so.

Unless of course the control is purely a joystick command (ie joystick button 2, with no keyboard key associated with it). Then Voice Attack would barf a little bit.

lavaeolus

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 05:51:16 AM »
If the action associated with a keyboard, mouse or joystick button press is not a key press, I will add another action type "ExecuteCommand" which will call another command by name. The name must be supplied in the EDBindTool include-file.
In this way complex actions can be executed by the command.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
my issue with the 2 mouse binds has been resolved so don't worry about it if it's a pain to do. All I did was bind the commands to keys, problem solved....doh! lol

lavaeolus

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
I have posted a new cli version (1.7.1) which supports mouse and joystick binds. Since VoiceAttack does not support Joystick output (without plugin that is), joystick input is only valid if the command has a second binding to a key. Also, since ED does not know which joysticks are configured for VA the created command may use the wrong joystick.
Handling of ED mouse bindings is better, since there is only one mouse device. If there is a keyboard binding for a command the mouse executes a key press action, if not, a mouse-action is generated.
In both cases only buttons are supported, no axis. Mouse wheel is considered a forward and a backward button.
As usual, let me know about issues and additional functions you like to see.
BTW: I'm working on a new tool for VA and ED, which I think will be as useful as EDBindTool. I think I will post a technical preview in this forum soon.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:19:45 PM by lavaeolus »

lavaeolus

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »
I've posted a new topic in the "Plugin Upload" section of this forum for my new tool "KeyEventViewer".

Gimi

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
I have been playing aropund with key maps, and have some questions.

In the DefaultKeyMap there are three columns. The middle one is a number. What does the number refrence (Please excuse me if this is something I missed in the documentation).

Next, in ED 2.2 Norwegian characters didn't show in the binds setup. The equivalent UK-keyboard character was displayed.
In 2.3 Norwegian characters are shown and they are also used in the binds file.
It seems to me that FDEV have updated their internal keymap to include international characters.
In the DefaultKeyMap file you show: Key_ä=OemQuote, Key_ö=Oemtilde and so on.
Are you sure this still is the case in ED 2.3. I would expect Norwegian characters to come up in a similar way, but they don't.

I created a mini binds file in ED that only used those keys that differ between a UK and Norwegian Keyboard. This is what I got:

Last column is what is shown on the physical keyboard. (Apostrophe is missing, excel hick-up)

Edit: Ok, looked at it some more. Figured out what to do next. I'll provide mappings for the ones missing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:07:42 AM by Gimi »

lavaeolus

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »
Hi,
sorry that I did not reply earlier. I have not tested it with ED 2.3 yet. But will test it in the next days and determine what has changed and what to do.

Mouadib

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Here the link of image of the missing key in the keymap for Belgium French keyboards

Thanks, nice job!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:47:37 PM by Mouadib »

ankienz@gmail.com

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2018, 01:25:27 AM »
Are the zip file corrupt for anyone else?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 01:40:15 AM »
Yes, there is currently an issue with attachments in general. Please check back in a day or so.

EDIT: The attachments should now be working again.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:19:58 AM by Pfeil »

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
Hey, is there any support still going on for this? I'm getting an XML error in voice attack when I try to import the VAP file that EDBindTool creates.

Thanks,
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com