Author Topic: MOVING VA TO ANOTHER DRIVE  (Read 1358 times)

PATMAN

MOVING VA TO ANOTHER DRIVE
« on: May 11, 2020, 01:31:34 AM »
Can I just move the VA folder to another drive? (no space left on my C drive - I should have seen this coming.) Or is there a process to moving it?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: MOVING VA TO ANOTHER DRIVE
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »
The safest and recommended method is to uninstall VoiceAttack and any third-party addons, and re-install it in the new location.

If you move the folder, the uninstaller cannot work correctly, and certain registry information (which may be used by third-party addons) will no longer be correct.

Your profile database will not be affected by uninstalling, though you should back it up regardless; Click the "Click here to browse VoiceAttack's data folder." link on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window to open the folder, and copy the contents somewhere safe.

You'll also want to export your settings beforehand (using the "Export Settings" button on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window), then activate the new installation with your registration data and import the settings again (using the "Import Settings" button on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window).
Not all settings can be restored (E.G. window positions)

For backing up third-party addon settings, you'll want to contact the author of the addon for their recommended procedure.

Keep in mind that any file references used in your profiles or by third-party addons or applications may no longer be valid, especially if they use absolute paths.