Author Topic: Site blocking downloads for me  (Read 5407 times)

stevef

Site blocking downloads for me
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:56:37 AM »
Can't download the latest beta, or anything off of the site at the moment. Just comes straight back with the bot message.

Had the message last night when I saw a new beta was up, tried to download it because the latest build is crashing for me. Got the message on first attempt on trying to dl the beta. Left it 30 minutes got the message again.
So tried again this morning and it's still blocking me.

Getting the same on the latest build 10 minutes after the first block this morning. Anyone else seeing this?

Frustrated!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Site blocking downloads for me
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:48:24 AM »
the bot message.

Can you clarify?

stevef

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:14:59 AM »
Usually, this many download requests in such a short period of time indicates a bot.

You'll have to come back later, or, you can visit http://www.download.com to get VoiceAttack (which may or may not be the very latest version).

If you are not a bot, please forgive us :)

That message

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:20:19 AM »
The beta should be publicly available, so I'll attach it here until you've downloaded it(download from the main page works fine for me). I'm hoping the forum doesn't share the same restriction.

Not sure why the server is flagging you, that's something for Gary to look into.

EDIT: Removed the installer, as you've got it now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:42:03 AM by Pfeil »

stevef

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:33:12 AM »
Thanks Pfeil

Got it.

Tried clearing IE cache to see if it's my end.
Maybe the site has added my IP to a filter of some sort.

EDIT: Beta has fixed my crash issue too   :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:49:50 AM by stevef »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:16:22 AM »
Yeah... the site will start blocking downloads if it gets too many requests for files over a certain period of time.  I've managed to get that message myself, but only after I've been doing a *lot* of testing.  I had to put it in place as there are eight zillion download sites out there that CONSTANTLY attempt to download the software to keep their sites updated, whether or not there was a PAD file present (the PAD file is an info file for the software available).  My site has no bandwidth restrictions, but I put that in place anyway in case I change hosts.

Are you running any type of browser add-on that opens multiple streams to download files?  If so, is there any way to add an exclusion for VoiceAttack.com (it's only 3mb or less).  I can fix you up, but that will be later this evening.

Sorry about that!

stevef

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »
No, browser addins or download managers, I'm getting it first click using IE11.

Cleared the cache in IE too, in case the page was cached.

Still getting it now, just tried to download the beta again as a test. First click gave me the bot message.

Luckily Pfeil has hooked me up. So I'm good now.

Also getting this across 2 PC's in my, like my IP is blocked

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »
Yeah... it blocks by ip.  I cleared it up for you, so you should be good to go.  I think what helped trigger it was VA was requested 19 or so times between the 22nd and 23rd.  I know that doesn't seem like a whole lot, but this is only the second time this has been tripped by a valid user since 2009 (the other time was a guy that had all KINDS of computer problems).