Author Topic: How would you code VA for X-Plane11 comms?  (Read 1537 times)

ladlon

How would you code VA for X-Plane11 comms?
« on: February 14, 2020, 07:44:44 PM »
I've successfully created profiles for DCS World and IL-2 Great Battles no problem, but my latest profile (X-Plane11) has a real challenge that I'm not sure how to address... so I'm hoping someone might be able to shed a bit of light on appropriate techniques.

Coding the various commands is no problem, except when it comes to interacting with the ATC.

I can easily bring up the ATC window (Default: Enter key), but that's where my whole world screaches to an unexpected stop, as it seems (could be wrong) that from there, there is no keyboard control/shortcuts.  I couldn't even find keyboard commands for moving menu selection highlights up/down.

I still have to tinker with this (...not having a flight plan files kind of kills any option to do ANYTHING with ATC, unfortunately), but so far I'm a bit stumped.

Anyone do any VA stuff with X-Plane11?

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

I have tried the 124thATC plugin, hoping maybe it would utilize some system that was keyboard friendly (so I could then connect/control it to VA)... but, it appears it has the same issue... it seems exclusively mouse click driven button based, and so I'm not aware of how I could control it using VA.

Really, the minimum I want to do is simply to be able to 'Okay' the ATC 'Readback' button that pops up with my voice (or even a joystick button), so I don't have to constantly take my hand of the joystick, grab the mouse, and point to and click the button, every single time ATC talks to me.  Ideally, I'd be able to interact move via voice, but JUST that alone would already be great.

(Win7 Premium)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:39:26 PM by ladlon »

ladlon

Re: How would you code VA for X-Plane11 comms?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:05:57 PM »
For those following along (and also curious how this can be done), I made one discovery...

Using 124thATC, it DOES actually have keyboard commands (which the plug-in adds to the keyboard command list of X-Plane as a new '124thATC' group.

In that, there is a bindable command for 'Read Back', which you could then bind to a VA voice command, and at least then be able to respond to the flood of ATC messages you'll be getting throughout the flight.

I can't seem to find a means to select the other ATC button/menu items (ex. Say Again), but at least this is a (much appreciated) start to the tedium of clicking all the ATC messages.

The paid/deluxe version of the X-Life plugin (which adds both AI planes plus has an ATC feature) seems to have keyboard controls (move highlight selection left, right, up, down, and enter), and so that might be linkable to VA.  Can anyone verify that?

If I figure it out, I'll let you know, just in case someone else here is curious.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:57:02 AM by ladlon »