Author Topic: VA crashes while using Sound Effects for TTS  (Read 6493 times)

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
VA crashes while using Sound Effects for TTS
« on: January 29, 2020, 04:22:40 PM »
So, I've been really taking advantage of the new sound effects for the TTS. However, since I started using it, VA is crashing like every 10 minutes. No error messages. Just closes and disappears. If I change the audio output type back to "Windows Media Components" from "Integrated Components", everything works fine. I checked the VoiceAttackFault.txt file, but it hasn't recorded anything today, (it's crashed more than six times today).

I would love to help you figure this out. I just bought "Amy", and I've been looking forward to tweaking her voice. If it matters, I'm only using two effects. Reverb and Flanger.

Thanks,

Jerry (Grakus)
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA crashes while using Sound Effects for TTS
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:33:42 PM »
Hi, Jerry

If you use the built-in voices, does it produce the same result?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:35:01 PM »
Anything in the Windows event log regarding the crashes? Do they occur randomly, or when TTS is/should be playing?

Which TTS voice(s) are you currently using?

Are you using any plugins?

Have you tried removing the effect(s) to see if the crash still occurs?
You could export the effect(s), then delete them (using the "Sound Effects" button on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window), which will cause the TTS actions that use it to play without effects (obviously). Doing it this way saves you removing them from each action individually, and should restore the use of that effect by all actions when it is imported again.

VoiceAttack did crash while I was checking things, after I deleted the effect again and triggered a test command that executes a single TTS action with that effect (which can normally be done without issue, both before and after the crash); The event log refers to the Ivona DLL for the voice I was using in my test command in one of the exceptions:
Faulting application name: VoiceAttack.exe, version: 1.8.3.8, time stamp: 0x5e28a03a
Faulting module name: voice_en_gb_brian.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5692f5b0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003bfa3
Faulting process ID: 0x9b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d6ed2434ed52
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Speech2Go Voice Package\x86\voice_en_gb_brian.dll
Report ID: 4b050d99-5c5f-417d-b1d8-a4f3ec6e8d72
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Application: VoiceAttack.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at System.Speech.Synthesis.TtsEngine.ITtsEngine.Speak(System.Speech.Synthesis.TtsEngine.SPEAKFLAGS, System.Guid ByRef, IntPtr, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.TtsProxySapi.Speak(System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.Speech.Synthesis.TtsEngine.TextFragment>, Byte[])
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis.SpeakText(System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.SpeakInfo, System.Speech.Synthesis.Prompt, System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.LexiconEntry>)
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis.ThreadProc()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 04:40:17 PM »
Also - could you try something out for me?  In Options > System/Advanced, there is an option, 'Single TTS Instance'.  Check that box and see if that makes a difference.  I don't think there's a problem with Ivona voices in this regard, but you never know.

I'm also with Pfeil with checking if you have any plugins running.  EDDI and Ivona clashed a while back (may have had to do with multi-instance issues tho).

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 07:00:26 PM »
Also - could you try something out for me?  In Options > System/Advanced, there is an option, 'Single TTS Instance'.  Check that box and see if that makes a difference.  I don't think there's a problem with Ivona voices in this regard, but you never know.

I tried this option first (since it was the simplest). No effect. Still crashes.

Anything in the Windows event log regarding the crashes? Do they occur randomly, or when TTS is/should be playing?

The Windows event log isn't showing any entries today for voiceattack. It appears to be crashing randomly.

Are you using any plugins?

Yes, I'm using several plug-ins. EDDI, EliteAPI, BindED, and HCS. I'll try removing some of them and see what happens.

Have you tried removing the effect(s) to see if the crash still occurs?
You could export the effect(s), then delete them (using the "Sound Effects" button on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window), which will cause the TTS actions that use it to play without effects (obviously). Doing it this way saves you removing them from each action individually, and should restore the use of that effect by all actions when it is imported again.

Yes, I have removed each individual sound effect from my preset and left the preset on each individual SAY action. Unfortunately, it still has random crashes.

If you use the built-in voices, does it produce the same result?

Not sure. I'll try and let you know.
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 07:21:46 PM »

The Windows event log isn't showing any entries today for voiceattack. It appears to be crashing randomly.

Nothing in the Application log? The crash I can reproduce would have one entry with "Application Error" as the source, event ID 1000, and the other ".NET Runtime", event ID 1026.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »
Okay, so here's what I know after testing.

The only time it crashes is if I have the new voice, Amy, selected in EDDI, and then only if Integrated Components are selected as the Audio Output Type in VA. Everything works fine with any other configuration, including another Ivona voice, Brian, which I purchased three years ago from a different vendor.

Also noticed that when it does crash, it's always immediately after an EDDI event fires, but not consistently with every event.

Something else I want to share with you. Something really strange. Whenever I installed Amy earlier this week, it made multiple entries in my voices drop down in VA and EDDI, but looks normal in the TTS control panel application. I've attached some screenshots. Before I took these shots, I had uninstalled all Ivona voices (Amy and Brian). I then verified that they were indeed gone, from VA and from control panel. Then I reinstalled Amy. Just Amy! (see picture attachments).

Could it be that I got a "bad copy" of this voice. I purchased it from FastSpring.com. I really don't know the best place to get these. The place I purchased Brian from three years ago doesn't sell TTS voices anymore, and it never made multiple entries.

One last thing, I checked the Windows event log again just to be sure. I've included a screenshot of that as well. No recorded errors since January 15, if I'm doing this right. Would not surprise me if I were not.

So what do y'all think?

Jerry (CMDR Grakus)
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 02:30:10 PM »
I checked the Windows event log again just to be sure. I've included a screenshot of that as well. No recorded errors since January 15, if I'm doing this right. Would not surprise me if I were not.

As I mentioned:
The crash I can reproduce would have one entry with "Application Error" as the source, event ID 1000, and the other ".NET Runtime", event ID 1026.
neither event is listed as having "VoiceAttack" as the source (which is what you're filtering on).

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 03:03:25 PM »
I checked the Windows event log again just to be sure. I've included a screenshot of that as well. No recorded errors since January 15, if I'm doing this right. Would not surprise me if I were not.

As I mentioned:
The crash I can reproduce would have one entry with "Application Error" as the source, event ID 1000, and the other ".NET Runtime", event ID 1026.
neither event is listed as having "VoiceAttack" as the source (which is what you're filtering on).

Okay. I understand now about the event viewer. I figured I was doing something wrong.

The .NET Runtime error (Event ID 1026) is as follows:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          1/31/2020 12:25:00 PM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Jarvis
Description:
Application: VoiceAttack.exe
   at System.Speech.Synthesis.TtsEngine.ITtsEngine.Speak(System.Speech.Synthesis.TtsEngine.SPEAKFLAGS, System.Guid ByRef, IntPtr, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.TtsProxySapi.Speak(System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.Speech.Synthesis.TtsEngine.TextFragment>, Byte[])
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis.SpeakText(System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.SpeakInfo, System.Speech.Synthesis.Prompt, System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.LexiconEntry>)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-31T18:25:00.255585600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>28914</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Jarvis</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: VoiceAttack.exe
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.TtsProxySapi.Speak(System.Collections.Generic.List`1&lt;System.Speech.Synthesis.TtsEngine.TextFragment&gt;, Byte[])
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis.SpeakText(System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.SpeakInfo, System.Speech.Synthesis.Prompt, System.Collections.Generic.List`1&lt;System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.LexiconEntry&gt;)

</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

And the Application Error (Event ID 1000)

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          1/31/2020 12:25:00 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Jarvis
Description:
Faulting application name: VoiceAttack.exe, version: 1.8.3.0, time stamp: 0x5dfa7ad7
Faulting module name: voice_en_gb_amy.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5692f5ab
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003bfa3
Faulting process id: 0x2ce8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d85ba968cc96
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NextUp-Ivona\ivona-sapi\platforms\i686-pc-win32\voice_en_gb_amy.dll
Report Id: 6740ae1d-99c8-4bdf-a404-2a570ee77051
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-31T18:25:00.820150900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>28915</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Jarvis</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>VoiceAttack.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.8.3.0</Data>
    <Data>5dfa7ad7</Data>
    <Data>voice_en_gb_amy.dll</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>5692f5ab</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0003bfa3</Data>
    <Data>2ce8</Data>
    <Data>01d5d85ba968cc96</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\NextUp-Ivona\ivona-sapi\platforms\i686-pc-win32\voice_en_gb_amy.dll</Data>
    <Data>6740ae1d-99c8-4bdf-a404-2a570ee77051</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 03:21:07 PM »
So, the exceptions are identical.

I'm running the "Brian" voice from a Speech2Go installer. Chances are the vendor doesn't matter; They're likely the same Ivona file, anyways.

Now the question remains as to what is causing the exception in the first place and/or whether there is a workaround.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 05:31:52 PM »
Waiting on a reply from the Ivona folks - I requested a testing license on Wednesday.  Haven't heard back yet.  I'm curious as to what might be happening, because the effect is applied in an area (an area that's beyond where TTS is even involved) that's been working fine for quite some time.  I barely mentioned that there was a potential issue to the Cereproc folks and they were like 'TAKE THIS LICENSE, YO'.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 06:33:07 PM »
So, the exceptions are identical.

I'm running the "Brian" voice from a Speech2Go installer. Chances are the vendor doesn't matter; They're likely the same Ivona file, anyways.

Now the question remains as to what is causing the exception in the first place and/or whether there is a workaround.

So strange. "Brian" on EDDI works flawlessly on my machine. Everything but Amy (the one I really want). :-(
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
Ok - wait.  Your, 'Brian' works just fine under the circumstances you had outlined?

@Jerry

I forgot to mention earlier - it's good to hear from you again, Jerry ;)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »
As an additional data point: I have "Russell" as well, and it crashes in the exact same manner.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
Ok - wait.  Your, 'Brian' works just fine under the circumstances you had outlined?

@Jerry

I forgot to mention earlier - it's good to hear from you again, Jerry ;)

Yes. "Brian" works just fine as well as the other Microsoft voices. "Amy" works fine in VA alone, but crashes when chosen as the voice in EDDI, *but only* when using Integrated Components. Doesn't seem like the two should be connected. This one's a strange one guys! :-\

Oh, and thanks Gary. Three years since I got voice attack, and FINALLY playing Elite Dangerous. :-)
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 06:06:31 PM »
Sorry for the late reply - just a follow-up on this.

Since my last post, I was able to obtain 'Amy' from the nice folks over at Ivona.  I've run this TTS voice through various tests and I'm still not able to reproduce the problem.  'Amy' only shows one entry in my dropdown list (just thought I would note that as well).

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »
it's been a while since I checked on this. I just recently got a new PC from the Elite Dangerous community, with the help of CMDR Exigeous. So installing everything on a new build, the multiple AMY instances are not an issue. Just one AMY and one BRIAN. Unfortunately, it's still crashing when using Integrated Components. :-(
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com