Author Topic: Starting using Rift S with Elite Dangerous & all was working and then, well, not  (Read 1790 times)

Slugofestdyborg

So picked up a Rift S yesterday and got it working with EliteDangerous and VoiceAttack - all was good. After a couple hours it was like my target changed and although VoiceAttack was communicating with the EliteDangerous plugin and knew what was going on (e.g. when hardpoints were out it knew not to allow me to go to jump)... and would listen and respond to my commands - none of my commands actually worked in game. Note - they were working for a couple hours (and that was sweeeeeet) and I honestly don't remember doing anything but playing and then they just quit. So it was sorta late so I quit and figured I'd reboot and it'd work today.

Wrong answer. Same problem today after shutting down and restarting. EVERYTHING seems to work except of course the keystrokes making it to the EliteDangerous client. I am all but certain it is the active window (and I've tried selecting the target to be "Active Window" and the client - no joy). The reason I believe it's the active window is the mouse works fine (e.g. I press ESC and can navigate the menus with the mouse... sounds like that must be the active window, right?).

I've rebooted and brought up the 3 apps (VoiceAttack then Oculus, then EliteDangerous in the right order) and it seems like it should work. I shut down all the apps and started again - no luck. I shut down just VoiceAttack and restarted it and it knew that ED was running - so there's no doubt it's mostly working. Again - VoiceAttack is hearing me and responding claiming it recognizes my words and says it's sending commands. Yet the commands never get there.

The most strange thing to me is it WAS working great and just seemed to stop in mid play - and now is "broken". So confused.

Gary

• Administrator

Slugofestdyborg

Yes - thank you - long ago I set my VoiceAttack taskbar icon to always start as admin. Just double checked (by manually starting it as admin) yet no change in behavior.

So I just checked and ED was not started as Admin (it always worked before without that so thought it would be OK) and so ran ED as admin and still no change. Didn't think that'd help yet willing to try strange things at this point cause strange things - they be a happening.

Slugofestdyborg

OK - going to try reinstalling VoiceAttack. I opened notepad and selected that window - no commands seem to be issued to "Active Window" (they should show up in the text document, right?). I also targeted Notepad from Voiceattack and still no characters appear after Voiceattack acknowledges a Recognized command.

Slugofestdyborg

As usual - stupidity reigns. I selected the default Oculus control set in ED yet didn't re-map keybinds. Doh. Strange that it ever worked. Maybe I brought it all up together and the keybinds were set and when I changed the control mapping there was residual awareness. No idea. Yet once I did set up the keybinds again it is working. Whew. Found that working braincell.