Author Topic: Voice Attack and WMR not switching Microphones  (Read 7566 times)

dreamingbadger

Voice Attack and WMR not switching Microphones
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »
Hi I have a Samsung Odyssey Plus HMD, and in Windows Mixed Reality Portal I have set the default devices to change to the headset.

I have tried loading VA first, second as admin, and also tried getting VA to force the Microphone as Default in the VA Options... to no avail... the Microphone remains stubbornly "bound" to my Razer headset mic, which is plugged into the 3.5mm jacks at the back of my PC.

The only time I can get it to work is if I go into Windows Audio Devices and disable the existing Microphones then, it will select the WMR headset microphones.

I must be doing something wrong, is there a better way of doing this? can someone help me get to a resolution here?

I should add audio switiches to the headset just fine

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice Attack and WMR not switching Microphones
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:19:17 AM »
Does restarting VoiceAttack not make it use the then-current default input device in this situation?

To switch devices the speech recognition engine needs to be reset, which is automatically done when using the "Change Default Audio Devices" action, can be done manually from an inline function, or is necessarily done when (re)starting VoiceAttack.

dreamingbadger

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »
correct
if I start the WMR portal, and the VA  it still defaults to the normal headset mic.

If use VA and change default audio devices, and the restart VA it typically hangs, but if it stay's up it stays bound to the normal headset microphone rather than the WMR headset 

Xariyl

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 04:33:53 AM »
My first guess is that the RealTek audio manager is interfering and taking priority control over your input devices. Check the app settings; I don't have an analog headset so I can't test it myself but that was my first thought, I remember having issues with it in the past.

dreamingbadger

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »
I had a look at this just now; when I open the Realtek sound manager , the speakers and microphone are shown as default, when I open the WMR portal they are not

dreamingbadger

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 05:30:49 AM »
Doh!

after much frustration

Options -> Recognition -> Windows Speech Recording Device

This must be set to default.

Rankers

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 07:35:16 AM »
I swear this option changed on its own for me. Did you notice behaviour like that?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 07:58:54 AM »
Another application could be changing that setting, yes. 

VA does not automatically change that value - it's read when the options screen is opened and written only if the value is changed by the user and the user clicks, 'OK'.

dreamingbadger

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
I swear this option changed on its own for me. Did you notice behaviour like that?

No I didn't/haven't