Author Topic: Push to Talk  (Read 5600 times)

iceblast

Push to Talk
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
I've made a command to do this already, but I feel it would probably work faster, if it was built into VA, and I think it's an extremely useful command, that many people would take advantage of if they had it as a option.

I use a desktop mic, and I made a command that drops the system audio down when I Push to Talk. So, I could be watching a video on my computer, and want VA to run a command, I just hit Push to Talk, and the volume drops, and VA can hear me without the video causing VA to run random commands.

Give a option to do this on the Global Hotkey, and allow people to set how low the sound needs to be for them. So if they want the sound to drop to say, 5%, VA will do that, and then return the volume back to whatever it was before.

This is a very handy command, and thought I would ask. :)

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Push to Talk
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
That's not a bad idea -  are you just dropping the system volume?

iceblast

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
Yup, here's the command I'm using. I figure, if integrated into VA, it would be faster, and it's just a nice option to take advantage of.

Code: [Select]
Set integer [Volume] value to the converted value of {STATE_SYSVOL}
Start Loop While :  Keyboard Key 'F22' Is Pressed
Set default playback device volume to [4]
End Loop
Set default playback device volume to [{INT:Volume}]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:40:18 PM by iceblast »

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:10:15 PM »
Gary, you might know this:

Is there any reason a computer can't subtract the digital output heading to speakers from the input received from a microphone for some degree of live audio isolation?  And if possible, is this something that exists today?

I search around for this kind of thing every few years, was hoping it would be possible one day... for a personal computer, not like industrial level stuff...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:46:31 PM by SemlerPDX »

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 04:20:43 AM »
Gary, you might know this:

Is there any reason a computer can't subtract the digital output heading to speakers from the input received from a microphone for some degree of live audio isolation?  And if possible, is this something that exists today?

I search around for this kind of thing every few years, was hoping it would be possible one day... for a personal computer, not like industrial level stuff...

This is the "acoustic echo cancellation" feature.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 12:38:10 PM »
Ah - I see.  Thank you!

Darsaga

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 10:42:11 PM »
I strongly vote for this feature as well; this is pretty common among VOIP software and since many people use VA while VOIPing with comrades it seems important to be able to control who I am speaking with without my comrades hearing all my VA commands.

Seems simple enough, not sure what language VA is written in but you wouldn't even have to mute the mic:
if(pttPressed && pttEnabled)
{ //execute command as normal }
else { doNothing }

The problem with just muting the mic is that while VA is muted I want to be able to chat with my pals in discord.

You could also include the reverse as an alternate feature, push to mute, which is becoming more common;

I would vote for both options.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 10:49:59 PM »
Both of those options are already available, if I understand what you're asking correctly.

You can set a "Recognition Global Hotkey" for push-to-talk, push-to-mute, single command then mute, or toggle mute, on the "Hotkeys" tab of the VoiceAttack options window.

If your VOIP software also supports hotkeys (E.G. Discord does), you could set VoiceAttack to push-to-talk and the other to push-to-mute (people have used this setup quite successfully).

What is described in the OP might be more accurately labeled as audio ducking.