Author Topic: Sources for voice files to be used in personal profiles?  (Read 2308 times)

OverDhill

Sources for voice files to be used in personal profiles?
« on: August 22, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
Where are some resources to obtain voice clips to be used in personal VA profiles?  Do people use any responses from a HCS pack? What are some good websites to get some? 

I am just curious as I am looking to make a profile for some games I play

Also what are some favorite TTS voices that people use?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Sources for voice files to be used in personal profiles?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 03:21:51 PM »
Do people use any responses from a HCS pack?
Unfortunately HCS Voice Packs do not allow the use of their sounds with other games:
Quote from: HCS VOICEPACKS LTD LICENSE AGREEMENT
1. All files included in this product remain the property of HCS VoicePacks Limited and are licensed, not sold, to you, and provided for use exclusively with Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.
(bold emphasis mine)

what are some favorite TTS voices that people use?
From personal experience (which is not necessarily objective) I feel some of the products by Ivona are the best on the market, for SAPI voices. They're not cheap, however.

You can download 30-day trial versions of one or more of those voices here (Ivona was apparently aquired by Amazon, so there does not appear to be a direct demo version anymore; Other vendors are available), and that vendor also has an online demo (though with an annoying background noise added).

OverDhill

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
Yeah I was informed about the HCS files. God knows why they chose to do that and stop people from using it for their personal use. I guess they never heard of 'Fair use'

I have Ivona Amy and might get Brian as well. 

Maybe we could get Travis to do some voice responses for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw... lol

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:06:01 PM »
Yeah I was informed about the HCS files. God knows why they chose to do that and stop people from using it for their personal use. I guess they never heard of 'Fair use'
Because in some cases, that requirement was in the contract so that we could get the voice actor ...

Side note:

Fair use: this is where brief excerpts of copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.

blueknight

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 04:15:44 PM »
You can probably use the text to speech software and then modify it with Audacity or a ton of other programs to create the voices for your own use.

iceblast

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:02:44 AM »
Personally, I like to use the Ivona Voice Joey, been using it for years. I use it with Balabolka Text-to-speech program. IMO, these voices sound the best, when you speed them up by 2 or 3 points. Making them talk more a normal speed, or just a bit faster.

I actually use Balabolka to read websites, and especially comments on forum, and such. I even use it to read books. The Ivona voices are just that good.

I think the voice packs are around $40. You'll get your money's worth out of them, if you use them like I do.