Author Topic: Optimizing Voice Commands  (Read 2878 times)

Oss133

Optimizing Voice Commands
« on: August 22, 2019, 03:41:37 AM »
Hi,

I use VA with Elite: Dangerous. I have set it up to do lots of things, including turning Modules on and off in the Modules panel. Currently, I have all the Module commands as separate Module selections in Prefixes and commands in separate Suffixes.

So, for instance, I have Prefix commands for Thrusters, Shield Generator and Sensors, and each one sets a variable so VA knows which Module I am talking about. I then have separate Suffix commands of On, Off, Check and Add so that I can switch each module on or off, check what VA thinks the current state of a module is, and add a new module to the currently selected row.

My question is, would it be more efficient if I used fewer commands, possibly just one, with dynamic phrases and then used conditions based on the command segments to set the variables and action the commands? Does VA work faster with fewer, more complex commands, or does it work better with a greater number of simpler commands?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Optimizing Voice Commands
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 11:07:28 AM »
The biggest delay in the execution of a VoiceAttack command should be the speech recognition itself.

Aside from setting the "Recognition" option for one or more commands to "Continuous Speech" or "Restricted Continuous Speech", which come with caveats of their own, there's not much you can do to reduce that (you can try different values for "Recognized Speech Delay" and "Unrecognized Speech Delay", however that may impact accuracy).

The simplest test for checking whether the delay is with recognition or within your action list is to use the "Execute by name (Advanced)" option of the "Execute Another Command" action within a command you launch by other means (E.G. a keypress, or simply right-clicking it in the action list and using the "Execute" option).

The amount of command phrases/phrase variations should only affect the time it takes for a profile to load (including reloading profiles after editing), but not noticeably affect the time it takes for phrases to be recognized by the speech recognition engine (when using the "Normal" setting of the "Recognition" option).

Generally, if you're not experiencing issues with a given method, you should use what best fits your workflow, and allows for maintenance later on.