Author Topic: Changing the PTT notification sound?  (Read 3544 times)

Fish

Changing the PTT notification sound?
« on: August 03, 2019, 07:10:01 AM »
Hi All,
I'm using a custom sound at command level, to get feedback that the command is being processed, but would like to change the notification sound played when i press the PTT button to something more subtle. is there a way, or a work around? (i know how to mute it).

Cheers

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Changing the PTT notification sound?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 07:36:51 AM »
The PTT (Listening) sounds cannot be changed independently of the other notification sounds (E.G. when toggling keyboard, mouse, or joystick shortcuts).

You can change the global setting for all these sounds using the "Feature On Sound" and "Feature Off Sound" dropdowns on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window.

It is also possible to use custom files for these:
Quote from: VoiceAttackHelp.pdf, section "For fun... maybe"
To override the default on/off sounds in VoiceAttack (listening on/off, joysticks on/off, etc.), just add a valid .wav file called, 'sys_on.wav' and/or a file called, 'sys_off.wav' to the same directory that VoiceAttack.exe is located (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack).
If you want to override the default interrupt sound (stop all commands.), just add a file called, ‘sys_stop.wav’. Note that these must be valid .wav files.
If an error is encountered, the sounds are reverted back to the default sounds.
Note also that these sounds will override any selected sounds on the options screen.

Fish

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:32:44 AM »
Perfect. Exactly what i was looking for.

VA continues to amaze. Nothing I want it to do, that it can't do.

Cheers

Fish

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 06:55:42 PM »
Hi Again,
Adjusting my profile again. I used a custom file for the start/stop sounds and they work fine. I'm using the same sound along with some commands, but the volume is greatly reduced in the command sound compared with the start/stop PTT. I've checked the volume in the settings and it is 100, and the preview of the sound is the same as the original. I could try boost the sound sample used for the commands, but wondering is there some setting here which is causing the command sounds to be dimmed.

Cheers

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »
Is the "Audio Output Type" option on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window set to "Integrated Components"?

There is a difference in the sound playback of those two features, but on my machine the volume difference is very slight (only noticeable by comparing the waveforms)

Fish

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
Thanks,
For me difference is siginificant. Tried both options same result. Difference is because i'm using MP3 for commands, but forced to use wav for system. When use wav for both its fine. I can work around by moving command sounds to WAV (export/search/replace file name). So no biggie, Just thought mp3 might be fore efficient in the profile

Cheers.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 01:01:21 PM »
Have you played back these files in both formats using another application?

I can see a difference in volume between the same sound as an MP3 versus a WAV file, even with media players like VLC.

Playing back a WAV file as a feature on/off sound is the loudest, playing that same WAV through the "Play a Sound" action is slightly less loud (on my machine), and playing that sound as an MP3 file, either through the "Play a Sound" action or an external media player, is quieter still (but again only slightly, on my machine)

Unless you have VoiceAttack installed to a hard drive rather than an SSD, there shouldn't be much of a practical difference, volume and storage size aside; especially for shorter sounds.

Fish

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »
Thanks for sticking with this.
I attached the two files, and i could find on audible difference in either media player or VLC.  My idea of replacing the sound file references in the profile is not going to work, as i dident realise the profile is encrypted. I added +10 db to the wav file, and saved it as an MP3. and it sounds very close now

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 05:12:06 PM »
There is plenty of space for increasing the volume, as these are pretty quiet sounds.

Strangely, I don't detect any difference in volume with these files when playing sys_on.wav as the feature on/off sound, and beeploud.mp3 using the "Play a Sound" action.

Both by ear, and in Audacity, the volume is identical, to the point that the amplitude of the peaks matches exactly.

You mentioned you "checked the volume in the settings and it is 100"; Were you referring to the "Sound File Volume Offset" option on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window?

Fish

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 07:23:54 PM »
That was it.......
I was looking at the TTS volume offset, and didn't notice the Sound File volume offset was 20. Phew. Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for your patience Pfeil.

I tip my hat to you once again.   ;)

My system now plays the sound when i press PTT down, and after the command is recognised. I have a 'silent' sound file for the PTT up. So i can tell VA is listening, and when it executes a command. Works a treat.

Fish.

GunSlingerAUS

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 07:49:21 PM »
Hey guys, I'm trying to import my own sound effects for the PTT notification. I've copied four different .wav files into the D:\Steam\steamapps\common\VoiceAttack\Sounds\ folder, contained in another folder called Bailey F14.

However, when I go to the Audio - Feature On and Feature Off sound options, they're not listed in the drop down menu? I've also tried copying these wave files directly into the D:\Steam\steamapps\common\VoiceAttack\Sounds\ folder, without their own folder, and they still don't show up.

Any ideas?

BTW, a lot of VA users are flight simmers, so it'd be awesome if VA included more realistic radio sound effects for the PTT notifications.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »
As mentioned in the documentation (and further up in this topic), the sound files need to be placed in the installation directory, where the executable is, and need to be named "'sys_on.wav" and "sys_off.wav".

They will override the "Feature On Sound" and "Feature Off Sound" options.

If you want to use multiple custom sounds, you could consider disabling the native "Notification Sounds" feature (though this will also affect other sounds, including when stopping all commands), and using commands containing the "Make VoiceAttack Start Listening" and "Make VoiceAttack Stop Listening" action to control the listening state, so you can use a "Play a Random Sound" action in them.

GunSlingerAUS

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 04:24:38 PM »
That worked like a charm, thank you. Any chance the devs can include some more realistic radio on/off sounds in future?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »
You could make a feature suggestion for that.