Author Topic: Random triggers from loud clicky keyboard  (Read 1889 times)

Bazmack

Random triggers from loud clicky keyboard
« on: July 03, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
VA is being triggered by my loud clicky keyboard, what's the best way to deal with this? Is there a way to set Confidence level globally (for commands already setup) without having to go and edit every single command individually?  Can I exclude a certain sound?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Random triggers from loud clicky keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »
You can set a global confidence level using the "Minimum Confidence Level" option on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window.
This can be overridden for individual profiles by the "Override global minimum confidence level" option on the "Profile General" tab of the profile options window.

Note that any command with the "Minimum confidence level" option checked will override both of the above.

It is not possible to exclude sounds, the speech recognition engine is not designed for that.

You can enable push to talk, so VoiceAttack only listens while you hold down a key (combination), using the "Recognition Global Hotkey" option on the "Hotkeys" tab of the VoiceAttack options window. This can also be overridden by the "Override Recognition Global Hotkey" option on the profile options window.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:22:23 PM »
Minimum confidence level can be set at the command level, the profile level (via Profile Options) as well as globally by going into the Options > Recognition tab.  These items can be found throughout the VoiceAttack documentation (search for, 'Confidence').  The VoiceAttack help file can be found in your installation folder and can also be accessed by pressing F1 (Help) when VoiceAttack is in focus.

Unfortunately, there is no way to exclude a certain sound from being picked up.  You may want to try lowering your command weight (also on the Options > Recognition tab) if it's up too high (the higher the command weight, the more the speech engine will try to guess at what was said).  I have a loud and clicky keyboard and I'm not getting any interference from it.  Is it possible your mic volume is too high?

Edit - posted at the same time as Pfeil ;)

Bazmack

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:29:11 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah, I'm going to play around with mic placement/volume and see if I can attenuate the affect.

Bazmack

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:44:37 AM »
Had an idea! Do you think if I trained the Speech recognition engine to recognise the click of the keyboard as the word "click" I could set it as a dummy key that does nothing?!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:02:56 AM »
The speech recognition engine is designed to recognize phonemes, but you can certainly try.

You can add a specific word to the dictionary with a custom pronunciation (if that's not what you were referring to already); There's an "Add/Remove Dictionary Words" link in the context menu for the "Utilities >" button on the "Recognition" tab of VoiceAttack's options window, for quick access.