Author Topic: Exception Error when deleting Singularity Profile  (Read 3789 times)

Incryptx

Exception Error when deleting Singularity Profile
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:24:08 PM »
Hello

I am attempting to modify the Singularity Profile. I exported the Singularity Profile to a different profile name and then modified that profile. I then loaded it and attempted to delete the Singularity Profile.

Every time I try to delete the Singularity Profile, it throws an exception, then deletes it and somehow makes a copy, i.e. a "Singularity (Copy)".

When I try to delete the "Singularity (Copy)" it again throws an exception error.

I even deleted the Singularity.vap file I imported it from, and when I restart VA, it loads the "Singularity (Copy)"

But no matter what, I cannot import the copy I made with a different file name, i.e. "MyProfile.vap" which is an export of Singularity, with my modifications.

Apparently, the Singularity Profile is locked by the "author". So I thought I could export a copy, then I would be the "author" make modifications and rename it back to "Singularity.vap" and use my modified version of Singularity with the ability to play my music by saying "play music", but with no way to modify the Singularity Profile, I guess there is no need for the "Import/Export" commands or the "Copy/Delete" commands for modifying profiles.

In conclusion, the Singularity profile is Locked By The Author, cannot be exported, a copy cannot be imported, and modifications cannot be made.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Exception Error when deleting Singularity Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
Very strange.  I'm not sure what the profile is doing on delete - VoiceAttack never names its profiles with the word, 'Copy', and there is no event in VA that indicates to a plugin, action or inline function that a delete is being performed.  I've never seen VA do what you are describing before -  When VA imports a profile with a similar name, it imports it as 'ProfileName - 1'.  What is the exception you are getting?

Also, you might want to get clarification from HCS on what it is you are and are not allowed to do with the HCS profiles.

Incryptx

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »
Load the Singularity profile with no other profile present, and then try to delete it. Exception Error.

I named my export copy to "Singularity (Copy)" and after deleting the original Singularity.vap and renaming my copy to Singularity.vap, it loads in VA as "Singularity (Copy)".

The profile is also "Locked By The Author". If you try to import the Singularity Profile into "My Profile", a nice dialog is presented stating it cannot be done and to contact the "Author".

By making my own copy of Singularity, I thought I would become the author of the copy.

After having made a suggestion to this forum to add back the ability to play music in-game from VA, using VLC and CLMControl, which were taken out of previous HCS profiles, I decided I would do it myself. I gathered all the parts and tried to modify Singularity with the appropriate code, only to learn the profile is locked by the author.

It must be a silent conspiracy not to allow users to play music in the dark. We are all just restricted to listening to Galnet News no matter how far from the bubble. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to play my own music or listen to another radio station while in the black, but no, we can't have this unless we open a music player outside of VA, Outside of Elite with no voice control at all.

So, I wanted to do it myself, as other HCS profiles have provided, only to find the Singularity profile cannot be exported, cannot be copied and cannot be modified. Good work Author.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »
What does the exception text say?

I don't have a Singularity profile :(

Incryptx

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:26:34 PM »
Really. Your and admin and don't have a Singularity profile.

I tried to copy the text in "details" but it scrolled forever. I'll try again.

Incryptx

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »
Attached.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:32:27 PM »
Wow... that's huge.

Can you do me a huge favor?  Can you go into your Options screen, then go to the General tab.  Then, uncheck the box labeled, 'Enable Plugins'.  Restart VA.  Then, try to delete your profile and see if that changes anything.  If that DOES work (and you are able to delete your profile), go back to the Options screen again and re-enable plugins.  Restart VA.  Then, go into the Plugin Manager and try disabling each one of your plugins until you find the one that is causing the issue. 

Incryptx

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »
No change.

I did all of that and it still throws an exception when deleting the profile.

No plug-in is causing the exception.

Guess I'm down to writing my own Elite VA Plugin for playing my music in Elite.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 11:54:18 PM »
I'm rather at a loss as to what is going on.  I've been doing this for the better part of 12 years and I've never seen that exception when deleting a profile until now.  I've also never seen VA do what you were initially describing (with the, '(copy)' being appended to the name).   The only thing I can suggest is possibly zipping up your VoiceAttack.dat and sending it over to support@voiceattack.com.  I could pop it in the debugger and see what happens behind the scenes when I try to delete that profile.  You can get to that file from the options screen, last tab, 'Click here to browse VA's data folder'.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
If I am not misreading this:

Hello

I am attempting to modify the Singularity Profile. I exported the Singularity Profile to a different profile name and then modified that profile. I then loaded it and attempted to delete the Singularity Profile.

Every time I try to delete the Singularity Profile, it throws an exception, then deletes it and somehow makes a copy, i.e. a "Singularity (Copy)".

When I try to delete the "Singularity (Copy)" it again throws an exception error.

I even deleted the Singularity.vap file I imported it from, and when I restart VA, it loads the "Singularity (Copy)"

But no matter what, I cannot import the copy I made with a different file name, i.e. "MyProfile.vap" which is an export of Singularity, with my modifications.

Apparently, the Singularity Profile is locked by the "author". So I thought I could export a copy, then I would be the "author" make modifications and rename it back to "Singularity.vap" and use my modified version of Singularity with the ability to play my music by saying "play music", but with no way to modify the Singularity Profile, I guess there is no need for the "Import/Export" commands or the "Copy/Delete" commands for modifying profiles.

In conclusion, the Singularity profile is Locked By The Author, cannot be exported, a copy cannot be imported, and modifications cannot be made.

He only has one profile in Voice Attack, and the deleting of the only profile loaded in VA will generate this error.

Side note:

I tried to copy the text in "details" but it scrolled forever. I'll try again.

Seeing as the Singularity profile is from a 3rd party, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility for him to not have the profile. Even more so if he doesn't play Elite Dangerous.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
Oh, snap - the code that checks for retaining at least one profile has been changed unexpectedly.  Normally (historically), that option would not even be enabled.

Well, that would certainly explain that issue.  Surprised this isn't happening more often.  I will have a fix for this very soon.

I develop VoiceAttack only.  HCS is a totally separate company with their own developers.  Even if I did have that pack, I have absolutely no idea what is going on inside of, 'Singularity'.  Questions about that pack must be answered by their devs.  I can address the delete issue, however.

Side note - The only way that a profile will be imported with, '(Copy)' is if the profile is exported that way.  Did you export the profile with, '(Copy)' as part of the name?

Incryptx

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
Yes, I exported the singularity profile with the name "Singularity (Copy)" and that is how it came back in, since no profile existed after deleting the original singularity profile.

My apologies, I assumed VA (your company) wrote the Singularity profile, but now I see that you only write the VA shell that runs the profile.

It's still a bug, if you delete the only profile in VA, you will get an exception error.

Who was it that stated I don't play Elite. VA was developed for Elite, and then started adding support for other games. Of course I play Elite or I would not be here.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »
The bug will be fixed - for sure.  This was not always this way and was introduced at some time.

Seeing as the Singularity profile is from a 3rd party, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility for him to not have the profile. Even more so if he doesn't play Elite Dangerous.

Gangrel was quoting you, talking about me not having Singularity or playing Elite.   For the record, I *have* Elite, it's just that I haven't had time to get into it (since it requires significant involvement - at least that's what I hear)  ;)

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
After having made a suggestion to this forum to add back the ability to play music in-game from VA, using VLC and CLMControl, which were taken out of previous HCS profiles, I decided I would do it myself. I gathered all the parts and tried to modify Singularity with the appropriate code, only to learn the profile is locked by the author.

You can always create your own profile and, 'include' Singularity (and any other profile).  That way you can have all of your commands from your profile and everything from Singularity.  If Singularity changes, none of your profile's commands will be affected.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 10:25:52 AM »
The delete profile was fixed up and will be in the next beta release.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 01:21:50 PM »
The ability to play music is already in Singularity. Start the music you want to listen to and then use the Pause music, play music etc cmd which press the windows media keys to control it
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.