Author Topic: Why does Voice Attack NOT shut up??  (Read 1931 times)

jsamples

Why does Voice Attack NOT shut up??
« on: March 10, 2019, 12:02:48 AM »

When I first set up VA more than a year ago it worked fine. But now it won't shut up. It continues to randomly select commands on its own repeatedly. I've even had to put in a CANCEL all COMMANDS option to shut her up.  And even then she continues on.  I can't tell you how many times she's caused me to lose my ship and cargo during a game.  I am just sick and tired of it.

And no its not getting echo'ed commands from the MIC. I've separated them. Single headset and single MIC. Unconnected. No background noise at all. No TV, No Radio, No Cat, No Dog, No Bird, No Wife, No Ghosts. No Chit.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Why does Voice Attack NOT shut up??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:25:19 AM »
Hi, jsamples.

Well, that's certainly never something you want to happen, especially in the heat of combat for sure.

If VoiceAttack is just executing random commands, that's always indicative of some type of line noise.  It may not be human-perceivable, but your speech engine is getting some input somehow that it is interpreting as speech.  If you're sure you don't have some commands that are running in the background and doing things, it's almost certain there is line noise on your system.  VoiceAttack has not changed and it doesn't just change into doing what you are describing over time (otherwise this forum would be flooded), so, something has changed in your environment.  You'll want to take a look at this thread: https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=1635.0   I'm inclined to think you've already looked in there, since you've mentioned no ghosts ;)  If you've hardware that you can't replace and you need to get around the line noise, you may want to try upping your confidence levels as a start.  Other things to try is to go to profile options and add an, 'Override listening if my spoken command begins with' and turning off listening.  You'll have to prefix your spoken commands with your chosen phrase - If you use, 'computer' as the override phrase and you want to execute your, 'fire weapons' command, you'll have to say, 'computer fire weapons'.  That will override the listening being turned off and then fire your weapons.  You can also try using a, 'push to listen' hotkey.

Also, make sure you don't have any commands set up to execute with keyboard shortcuts, mouse clicks or joystick button presses - those can also launch commands. 

Hope some of that helps!

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Re: Why does Voice Attack NOT shut up??
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
Additionally have you tried disabling all your microphones (in the audio control panel of Windows) and run VA to see what happens? Could be internal line noise.