Author Topic: Size of .vap file?  (Read 1719 times)

Bumble B

• Bumble B Gaming
Size of .vap file?
« on: January 30, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »
How big do .vap files get?

My current .vap file is nearly 17Mb is this normal? What can I do to reduce its size? what could be making it so big?
--
CMDR Bumble B ö7
ASUS P6TD Deluxe, Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz, 12Gb G.Skill, Windows 7 SP1 (64bit), ASUS Geforce GTX 970 Strix (4Gb), ThrustMaster T-Flight HOTAS X, Cosair Void RGB USB Gaming Headset, TrackIR, EDDI, Voice Attack, ED Engineer

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Size of .vap file?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 03:33:46 PM »
A .vap file is a text file with XML markup, so the size is determined purely by the amount of text it contains.

If you have a lot of commands, phrase variations, actions per command, long inline functions, etc...that all makes the files bigger.

As the file is UTF-8 encoded, which is part of the Unicode standard, which characters are used also make a minor difference in the file size as certain characters can use up to four bytes(instead of one, for regular character like 'a').

However, unless you're having issues importing the file, the file size shouldn't be an issue to VoiceAttack itself.
If you find importing does hang, you could split up your profile by exporting to multiple .vap files, each containing a number of commands, so you can import one as the profile, and the rest as commands.
Do keep in mind that referenced(directly, not by-name) commands must be imported together or their link will break.

Bumble B

• Bumble B Gaming
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
Not having any issues atm but seems a little large for a xml file. I've asked afew others and their files seem alot smaller than mine.
--
CMDR Bumble B ö7
ASUS P6TD Deluxe, Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz, 12Gb G.Skill, Windows 7 SP1 (64bit), ASUS Geforce GTX 970 Strix (4Gb), ThrustMaster T-Flight HOTAS X, Cosair Void RGB USB Gaming Headset, TrackIR, EDDI, Voice Attack, ED Engineer

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 10:26:27 PM »
Not having any issues atm but seems a little large for a xml file. I've asked afew others and their files seem alot smaller than mine.

They might have exported the vap compressed (look in the VA manual for how to do this)

kourou

• Anything that can go wrong will go wrong
    • FANNY (Discord)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »
you can export your profile as a binary file, you can see in the manual how to do that. I think it's the field <BE> in the .vap file. But make sure to have a version of your profile with <BE>0</BE>