Author Topic: How to use a third joystick  (Read 1012 times)

CJH

How to use a third joystick
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:04:02 AM »
I have a G27 I use for RFactor2 and a TM 16000M (joystick and throttle) for IL-2.  I can't bind joysticks to profiles, can I? Do you have a suggestion for doing this without having to go into the joystick recognition window each time I want to switch? I suppose I could run the Steam version for one and the free standalone version for the other or use one of the virtual joystick approaches.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: How to use a third joystick
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
I cobbled together a little utility a while back that can write the joystick settings directly to VoiceAttack's config, which would at least save you swapping over manually.

Main caveat is that it requires restarting VoiceAttack(which can also be automated, as detailed in the linked post).

CJH

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Okay, so let me ask the obvious question (I believe there are no such things as stupid questions; just stupid people asking questions).

Couldn't I have a user.config file with the G27 defined and another one with the TM16000M and swap them out and restart VA when needed/wanted? That assumes that every time I change things like the joysticks that it creates a new user.config file.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:01:02 AM »
The user.config contains your preferences, including things like the last command you edited(so the list can jump to it when you open the "Edit a Profile" window), the settings you used for certain actions(like the delay between keypresses), window positions, and whether or not the application shut down gracefully.

Using two separate files would mean these values will not be synchronized between them, so some things will be different depending on which file you load.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it.

CJH

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »
Running separate instances of VA doesn't work either. Your utility is probably the only way and that's why you did it that way. I'm sure you didn't choose to take the hard path first.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:25 PM »
Running separate instances of VA doesn't work either.
If you're referring to the Steam version and the regular version, those should each use a different user.config, but share the profile database(the latter can be changed using a command line argument).

That should also apply to VoiceAttack installations with different file paths, as the URI for the config directory takes that into account.

The lack off setting synchronization still applies(and I doubt most people have both versions, in case of Steam and regular).