Author Topic: Vive Controller Input  (Read 2036 times)

CapJack

Vive Controller Input
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:41:08 PM »
I've purchased the Steam version of VoiceAttack for use with Vive VR.  Can VA press the buttons on the Vive controllers?  I'd like to use it with Fallout 4 VR.  Any help getting started is appreciated

Don

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Vive Controller Input
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
Natively, no. OpenVR(the standard used for Vive controllers) doesn't officially allow this either, but OpenVR-InputEmulator does add that functionality(the developer does note it's a bit of a hack, so it's not guaranteed to keep working).

As it apparently comes with a commandline utility for, among other things, sending controller inputs, you could have VoiceAttack run that utility.

Depending on what you're trying to do, it's also worth mentioning that Fallout 4 VR still retains partial keyboard functionality as well, so you could look into the keybinds for regular Fallout 4 and see if what you're looking for is mapped.
As a more advanced option, you can also use FO4 Hotkeys, which enables executing arbitrary console commands through keyboard shortcuts(it actually enables the developer hotkeys options natively present in the engine).

Synergyn

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:34:08 PM »
As a gamer with paralyzed hands, I have found VoiceAttack to be the best tool in my arsenal to remain competitive. My buffs are refreshed to the second! I can execute complicated defensive patterns while flying! Monotonous grinds become effortless, AFK experiences!

I recently purchased an HTC Vive and it is pretty great. However, I was surprised by the lack of keymapping support for disabled users. You see, I can wave my arms around and point the controllers, but I cannot squeeze the triggers, squeeze the grips or use the dial pads. My greatest hope was there was some sort of built-in VoiceAttack Vive input, but alas, not that I found.  OpenVR-InputEmulator seems like just the thing, but it crashes on me and I can't find a single person for whom it works. I wrote VoiceAttack commands to type in the command line utility, but that also crashes and doesn't seem to have any sort of Tech support.

My questions are:
Does anyone have OpenVR-InputEmulator or the command line utility working?
Is there some utility or tool I'm overlooking?
Is Vive support right around the corner, by any chance?

I'd really like to get going on developing for VR, and play around with things like Tilt Brush. Thanks in advance!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 01:02:49 AM »
Does anyone have OpenVR-InputEmulator or the command line utility working?
I haven't tried it myself lately, but as the latest update to that application was nearly a year ago(January 2018) it's quite possible it's no longer compatible with the newer versions of Steam VR/OpenVR.

Is there some utility or tool I'm overlooking?
As I mentioned previously, OpenVR is not designed to allow software to emulate hardware inputs.
This means there is no supported method for any application to provide this functionality(and why OpenVR-InputEmulator is/was a self-described hack).