Author Topic: New User Few questions  (Read 2339 times)

hb5ems

New User Few questions
« on: August 20, 2018, 12:06:09 AM »
Hi All.

Right first of all im just about to buy VA. But wanted to ask If I but it direct from the web site do they give me a code/key to put into steam. The reason I ask and dont want to buy it on the steam site is because I may want to use it off the steam site which I cannot do if i buy it from them. Correct? Has I did that with something else and now I either have to buy the item again or instal steam on a mates PC and he just does not want it  :-X  I will wait till I get a answer before I purchase it .

The Next thing is the extra voice packs that are available? Do you have to buy one or does the VA come with its own AI voice and if so is it just the one or is there any others included. Such as Non generic ones that is.. Also is there ones to download from other users?

Finally in this question when you are setting up VA is it that the AI will go as far as your imagination will go in that it will/could do anything that any number of key/joystick or input device can do with the exception of variable  commands such as the joystick left right nose up or down and rotate left or right Or can they even be controlled with some clever keyboard work? Because Iv seen the speed slider voice control in percentage or via impulse requests 1/4 1/2 and full impulse? So i just wondered if it can go just as far as we can imagine it to???

Like I said im new to VA I just wish I knew about it 3 years ago when I first started to play Elite Because I did struggle with my sausage fingers I bought various keyboard and different shaped gaming keyboards and one  for a single hand use. But still was very hard. I then bought a Hotas which made it better But listening to others play using VA when they are on Twitch It will be a god send .. .

Plus iv been reading bits in the other sections about plug ins and some of those look very promising

Thank you OS

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: New User Few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
Right first of all im just about to buy VA. But wanted to ask If I but it direct from the web site do they give me a code/key to put into steam. The reason I ask and dont want to buy it on the steam site is because I may want to use it off the steam site which I cannot do if i buy it from them. Correct?
Correct.

The website version uses a key to activate, whereas the Steam version does not use a key and is instead linked to your Steam account.

Both versions are identical feature-wise, but each is tied to its activation system. It is not possible to switch from the website version to the Steam version, or vice-versa.

The Next thing is the extra voice packs that are available? Do you have to buy one or does the VA come with its own AI voice and if so is it just the one or is there any others included. Such as Non generic ones that is.. Also is there ones to download from other users?
If by "AI voice" you refer to something like HCS Voice Packs profiles, which offer a prebuilt system with complex internal logic to communicate with the user and control the game, no.

If you're referring to synthesized speech from text you provide, VoiceAttack uses whichever text-to-speech voice(s) installed on your machine. By default, Windows does come with a basic voice(Microsoft also offers some alternative voices for free, but they're not at the level of commercial voices).

SAPI-compatible TTS voices can be purchased from third parties, and should work with any TTS application on your system, including VoiceAttack.

While you can download profiles from other users, TTS voices are both completely separate from VoiceAttack itself, and very difficult to produce, so generally the voices that people use are made professionally and are commercial products.

Finally in this question when you are setting up VA is it that the AI will go as far as your imagination will go in that it will/could do anything that any number of key/joystick or input device can do with the exception of variable  commands such as the joystick left right nose up or down and rotate left or right Or can they even be controlled with some clever keyboard work? Because Iv seen the speed slider voice control in percentage or via impulse requests 1/4 1/2 and full impulse? So i just wondered if it can go just as far as we can imagine it to???
Again, not sure what you mean by "AI", but VoiceAttack can send input to an application in a number of ways.

However, no application can press buttons on an existing joystick(the underlying API is not designed to allow for that), nor play audio to an existing input device(E.G. your microphone).
You can still send those types of input to an application, but that requires virtual devices(essentially software pretending to be hardware).

What is possible also depends on what the target application is set up for; If an analog control can also have keyboard keys bound to it to change the value, VoiceAttack can use that, in the same manner a human user would.

Perhaps it's worth noting that VoiceAttack is neither restricted to nor specialized in interacting with any one application; If you want to make it work with a certain game, that is likely possible, but keep in mind that unless you import a profile built by someone else, or purchase a commercial profile, you yourself will have to set that up.

hb5ems

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »
Correct.

The website version uses a key to activate, whereas the Steam version does not use a key and is instead linked to your Steam account.

Both versions are identical feature-wise, but each is tied to its activation system. It is not possible to switch from the website version to the Steam version, or vice-versa.

So iv got Elite running under steam So carnt i buy the website version?  so do i need to buy the steam version  or is there a wat to get VA working with Elite on steam or does it not matter ???

Thanks OS

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
You don't need a Steam version of VoiceAttack to use it with a Steam game.  Either version of VA (Steam or standalone) will work with both Steam games and non-Steam games.  The only thing is that the Steam version of VA requires the Steam client for DRM, while the standalone version requires you to activate it by using a registration key.  They are exactly the same otherwise.

I would definitely get the trial version of VA from the website first to make sure it all works out for you:  http://www.voiceattack.com/download