Author Topic: Using vJoy with a wheel  (Read 6305 times)

Mark L

Using vJoy with a wheel
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to set up a command using the vJoy plugin, and I've read the thread about setting it up. I have vJoy and the plugin working.

In the game I'm using, Assetto Corsa, I want to set a button on my wheel (or a voice command) that will put me in neutral gear without physically downshifting several times. But the game will only accept one device input for each action. E.g "Gear shift down" is set to my physical wheel in the game and it won't any accept extra inputs for that action.

AC recognises vJoy and I can use that as an input, but it's either vJoy OR my wheel, not both.

Does that mean I have to set the game up to use vJoy inputs for those actions, and then I have to map my physical wheel to vJoy? If so, how would I do that? This is getting more complicated than I thought it would.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Using vJoy with a wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
In most situations, if you have VoiceAttack running alongside the game anyway, the most straightforward method is to map the ingame actions to keyboard keys, and have VoiceAttack send that keypress; You can then map the wheel button to trigger the VoiceAttack command that sends the keypress, without requiring any other software or plugins.

Mark L

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention though. AC won't do that. In the options screen you can select a wheel OR a keyboard for driving, not both. So if I use keys for changing gear etc, I lose the functionality of the wheel. Yeah, it's bad I know. That's why I was hoping to use VA to get around these limitations.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
You can use Universal Control Remapper (UCR) alongside vJoy to fully remap to the virtual joystick (wheel) and then tell AC to only use the new UCR vJoy for everything.  UCR will take any input into your wheel and translate it through vJoy into keys that AC will recognize and VA as well.

I use this method for Kerbal Space Program since it hates joysticks and gamepads.

https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12249

Quote from UCR:
"A Note about Joysticks
Whilst UCR can "remap" keyboard and mouse (Make applications think one key was pressed when in fact another was pressed), it cannot remap your joystick in this way - applications and games will always be able to see the input you make on a joystick. What you can do though is send keyboard or mouse output in response to joystick input, or make a fake "virtual" joystick (A joystick that UCR creates that windows thinks is real) move in response to your real joystick's input. As long as you can get the game or application to ignore input from your real joystick, and only take input from the virtual joystick, then you can effectively "remap" a joystick using UCR. The "GameBind" plugin is an attempt to work around this issue. Plans are in motion to potentially be able to block games from seeing your physical stick move, but these are likely to be a long way off at best."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:21:50 PM by SemlerPDX »

Mark L

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks. I'll look into that as another option. I also have xpadder, used it for years, which might do something similar. I was hoping that VA would do all this without having to run multiple programs to achieve it. Looks like I'm out of luck on that one.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 11:32:50 PM »
In essence, VA does.  With vJoy and the VA plugin for vJoy, you can route any joystick button, mouse button, keyboard key or voice command to a virtual joystick function.  The caveat is that vJoy is a joystick, 'device' that is recognized by your app.  If your app only works with one device at atime, there's no way around it.  You'd have to remap every function of your wheel to work through the plugin, which is not ideal of course.

Mark L

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:56:54 PM »
Yeah, thanks Gary. It quickly became apparent that's what I would have to do. I've actually got it working now, there was a tick box hidden in the game menus where I could combine the keyboard input with the wheel input, so I now have VA controlling the keys for shift up and down to get what I want, so all is good.  ;)

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 12:01:28 AM »
Cool!  That's great to hear :)