Author Topic: Integrated Components doesn't play PC sounds to default device  (Read 2248 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
On my PC I have speakers and headphones. I noticed that when I enable the 'Integrated Components' Audio Output Type the 'Play a Sound' action always outputs to my speakers regardless of the default audio device (in the Windows Sound options) and regardless of the Channel selected in the 'Play a Sound' menu. Though TTS output works as expected.

The information for the 'Play a Sound' action in the manual reads:
Channel allows you to choose the device on which your audio will be played. So, if you would like a certain sound only played back through your desktop speakers, you can choose to do that here. Choosing, 'Default' will play the audio back through the default playback device specified by Windows.

However it seems like the Channel selected makes no difference for 'Play a Sound.' Switching to 'Legacy Audio' or 'Windows Media Components' makes the audio play to the default device as expected. I'm currently running VA v1.7.0.6.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Integrated Components doesn't play PC sounds to default device
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
Is this a new issue, or is it only happening with v1.7.0.6?

After changing the default audio device, was VoiceAttack restarted before playing sounds?

I don't have this issue on my machine(Windows 10, Integrated Components, VoiceAttack v1.7.0.6/v.1.7.0.7); Playing back through multiple devices, even simultaneously, seems to work fine.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
I'm doing this testing on my Windows 7 PC, and I haven't had a chance to try it on my Windows 10 PC. I set my default audio device to my headphones in the Windows Sound menu. I then opened VA and performed the following actions with the Legacy Audio and Windows Media Components:
Code: [Select]
Play sound, 'C:\Windows\Media\Windows Ringout.wav'  (and wait until it completes) [outputting to default device]
Pause 1 second
Say, 'This is a test'  (and wait until it completes)
...and the sound played through the headphones as expected. I can change the default audio device in the Windows Sound menu to my speakers without restarting VA and the audio will output as expected via Legacy and Media Components.

Now for the sake of discussion I set my default audio back to headphones, changed the audio to Integrated Components, and restarted VA. Running the above actions works as expected (all audio outputs to headphones). If I go into the 'Play a Sound' command and change the output to the speaker the sound plays from the speaker. But if I go back and set the 'Play a Sound' command to output to the headphones (or back to Default, which is the headphones) the audio remains outputted to the speaker. Only after restarting VA can I get the audio output to go back to the headphones. Resetting the profile or toggling the audio output type in the VA options does not change the situation.

I guess I was expecting that I could change the 'Play a Sound' channel output (when using Integrated Components) without needing to restart VA.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »
I was expecting that I could change the 'Play a Sound' channel output (when using Integrated Components) without needing to restart VA.
That is supposed to be possible, and exactly how it works on my machine(Restarting is not required to switch default devices either, I just wanted to make sure VoiceAttack could actually address other sound devices on your machine).

I don't know what would cause something like this, perhaps Gary has more insight.