Author Topic: Creating commands to navigate webpages  (Read 5827 times)

wolfoxbono

Creating commands to navigate webpages
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:13:24 PM »
Hello, first I would like to say that this program is AWESOME!!! I bought it for Elite Dangerous and I am speechless.

I also have an application for it that isn't a game that I would like to use Voice Attack voice commands.
Here's what I'm trying to do....

Using VA, I can open a URL within a web browser. Once the browser is open, I want to give VoiceAttack a command to go to another URL within the same active browser.

When I try to do it now, VoiceAttack opens another browser every time I give it another command to open a different URL.

Can I create a command so that when an active browser window is open, my next commands will open different URLS within that same active window. Replacing the previous URL?

Lastly, I want to add a confirmation voice or sound then execute the command "go to "URL" .

Thanks again for your time.
D

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
Re: Creating commands to navigate webpages
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
There is no native way to do what you are asking AFAIK, as VA wouldn't know what address bar area of what browser to enter the URL into... but VA works great with keypress actions.

So, you could use a browser extension that adds custom hotkeys to Google Chrome (sure other browsers have extensions like this as well), and then you could use VA to trigger the web browser hotkeys to accomplish your tasks.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shortkeys-custom-keyboard/logpjaacgmcbpdkdchjiaagddngobkck?hl=en

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
Like most web browsers, Google Chrome has built-in keyboard shortcuts.

If you want to open a link in the current tab, you could use F6 to focus the tab bar address bar, paste the URL, then press enter.

If you want it opened in a new tab you could precede that with Ctrl-T to open one first.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:27:47 AM by Pfeil »

wolfoxbono

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:57:42 AM »
Thanks. I'll take a look at the Chrome extension. Cool...

iceblast

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
Must browsers already have a keyboard hotkey to target the address bar. Usually, doesn't require adding an extension.

CTRL+L is the keyboard hotkey for Chrome and Firefox.

Opera is F8, but you can change Opera's to just about any key you like, so you don't have any conflicting key commands. You can even set it to CTRL+L if you wanted, to match the other browsers.

Just do a search in Google for keyboard hotkeys for whatever browser you are using, and you should find what your looking for.