Author Topic: VA won't recognize Warthog HOTAS buttons.  (Read 6702 times)

Corvidae

VA won't recognize Warthog HOTAS buttons.
« on: May 01, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »
Hello.

I've been trying to use my Warthog HOTAS with VA and I have enabled it in the joystick options menu, but when I try to press a button on my HOTAS in the "test" it won't assign it.

Is there something else I need to do to make it work?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA won't recognize Warthog HOTAS buttons.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
If your joystick is properly assigned and enabled and everything on your system is square, you should be able to click on the, 'Test' button and see feedback when various joystick buttons are pushed.  If this is not working, you will want to reinstall your drivers and make sure there is not some other software running that may be interfering (shouldn't be the case with joysticks, but it's worth mentioning).  For the most part, it's usually a bad driver.

Corvidae

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
I went into the "joystick options" part under general and enabled the throttle, is there anything else I should do in VA?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
If it's assigned and enabled, then the buttons should work.  It's a very generic system that VA is using, so if everything else is square on your system, it should be working.

Minto Took

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:27:11 PM »
I have the same issue as well.

Connected controllers as they appear in VA:
CH Rudder Pedals
CH Throttle Quadrant
Warthog Joystick
Warthog Throttle

I'd like to use buttons on the Warthog throttle for VA, but VA doesn't recognize any Warthog throttle buttons. Is there a limit somehow to the number of DX devices/buttons that VA can accept commands from (too small variable in the code?)?

All other software I use can recognize commands from all four devices at once (DCS, for example).

I tried uninstalling all my USB devices and reinstall to just keyboard, mouse, Warthog stick and throttle, and CH pedals. Same issue where VA can't read the Warthog throttle buttons. All Warthog drivers and firmwares are latest.

edit: VA version 1.7.0.6 (prerelease)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:30:15 PM by Minto Took »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
Are the buttons on the stick recognized, Minto?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:24:50 AM »
Is there a limit somehow to the number of DX devices/buttons that VA can accept commands from (too small variable in the code?)?

All other software I use can recognize commands from all four devices at once (DCS, for example).
VoiceAttack can only poll 2 devices at a time(It will recognize all DirectInput devices plugged into the system, but you can only actively use two of them), though there shouldn't be a limit on the amount of buttons per device.

Did you assign the throttle as a joystick within VoiceAttack?

Click , in the "General" tab click "Joystick Options", click "Assign 1" or "Assign 2", select a device from the list, click "OK", if you have POV hats on that device check the relevant "Enable Joystick X POV HAT Switches" options, click "OK".

You can now use the device you assigned within VoiceAttack, up to two devices can be assigned and used in this way.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:28:06 AM by Pfeil »

Minto Took

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Are the buttons on the stick recognized, Minto?

Yep.

Is there a limit somehow to the number of DX devices/buttons that VA can accept commands from (too small variable in the code?)?

VoiceAttack can only poll 2 devices at a time(It will recognize all DirectInput devices plugged into the system, but you can only actively use two of them), though there shouldn't be a limit on the amount of buttons per device.

Did you assign the throttle as a joystick within VoiceAttack?

Did that too. I didn't do any hat switch configuration since the button I want to use isn't associated with a hat switch.

edit: To clarify, my Warthog throttle buttons don't work when assigned as either Joysticks 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:30:26 PM by Minto Took »

dachs

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
I think I have solved the mystery, after having the exact same problem.

Trouble is likely that some of the toggle switches on the Warthog throttle is set to on! Go to "Game Controllers > Properties" and ensure that none of the buttons are lit up.
I imagine it's neccesary to do that for all controllers connected, or VA gets confused.

Anyway, after all switches and buttons were off, VA recognised buttons on both (in VA assigned) controllers.  8)