Author Topic: Is there a list of game that VA have work really well?  (Read 10725 times)

kingsmith13

Is there a list of game that VA have work really well?
« on: April 12, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »
Is there a list of game that VA have work really well? Or application?

Has anyone tested Va on any of these game?

Dota 2
call of duty
League of Legend
RuneScape
minecraft
overwatch
star craft
Final Fantasy 14 online
world of warcraft

iceblast

Re: Is there a list of game that VA have work really well?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:00:22 PM »
VA works on just about everything.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
There's no reason for VA to not work with any game, unless that game specifically blocks input that is not from hardware.
 WoW works for sure.  That's my game of choice (still, lol) and VA was born out of WoW needs ;)  I actually can't play WoW without VA, as there is a deficiency in my Tartarus software that VA corrects.

My son used VA with Minecraft when he was into that (he's outgrown that since lol).

ralf44

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 03:46:47 PM »
Final Fantasy 15 & the multiplayer Comrades work great with it.

The games with commercial voice packs of famous actors pretending to be AIs are just Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen, and some support for No Man's Sky.

Not easy, but possible is pretty much any game, Bearzly completed Dark Souls with voice only but it's not recommended!

Controlling mouse-only games with voice is awkward for me. Anything that supports keyboard input should be really quick to get working.

Gary, do remember some details of the Minecraft setup, like did you need 50 commands or nearer 10, did they just press a key or automate tasks?

Have you looked into the Steam input API (they broadened it beyond their own controller with the aim of saving programmers from having to wrestle with DirextXInput) and whether you can fake controller input to that?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:54:59 PM by ralf44 »

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »
It all depends on what you want to achieve. VA "effectiveness" is pretty universal, but the fine details really just come down to nuances about the game. For instance if you are trying to create shortcuts for selecting options or equipment on a menu screen you'll have to see if the game always snaps to the same starting menu window or if it "remembers" the last menu you had open. Each scenario will require a different VA approach (i.e. pressing the same sequence of keys for the former or having VA "remember" the previous menu and reacting accordingly for the latter).

Xariyl

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »
For Minecraft I haven't found much use for it. I could imagine some usefulness if using mods that add a lot of commands, maybe a "Create Waypoint" command for JourneyMap or something along those lines.

For almost all MMO's, I use VA for opening various UI panels. With so many hotkeys these types of games have, calling out the name of a window -- whatever game I'm in -- can always open what I want without having to remember the keybind. Many have a separate Character and Backpack keybinds, so I call out "Full Inventory" and it opens both.

Specifically for WoW, playing as a Hunter, I have a set of hotkeys bound to my number pad and all of my pet commands go there, so I can literally call out orders to my pet and have it attack, Bestial Wrath, go passive and follow ("Pet Heel!"). With my Protection Paladin, I have set my Hands and heals to mouse-over targets, call for "Flash of Light!" and still able to keep moving without losing focus or moving my hands. "Set Focus", "Clear Focus", "Assist" various things like that.

I LOVE VoiceAttack for MMO's :)

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 08:50:04 PM »
My WoW main is also a hunter, and VA was a direct result of that ;)

I like being able to say, 'freeze' and wherever the mouse is, the trap is launched to that place.  Also, all the pet commands... follow, go to, stay, play dead, wake up and whatever.  Not just voice commands... I hit CTRL + Shift + Z and it launches WoW, waits for the app, logs me in and then selects my character.  A real time saver.  Even got macros for right-click spamming for crafting (or whatever might require long periods of constant right clicking lol).  List goes on and on.

Xariyl

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 03:47:42 AM »
"Right-click spamming" gave me an idea.

@kingsmith13, for Minecraft: you could potentially set up an AFK Fishing farm, equip a fishing pole, and a VA command that will hold down the right-mouse button to auto-fish (and of course another to stop it). You know, instead of finding a weight to put on the mouse :)

Think I'm going to try that :)