Author Topic: SOLVED: OBS Studio & VA  (Read 9589 times)

JDsplice

SOLVED: OBS Studio & VA
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:19:50 PM »
I am a Twitch Streamer using OBS Studio.  I have many video clips that I play during the stream to entertain the viewers and I setup hotkeys for all of them.  I setup VA via voice activation to trigger those hotkeys (sending the inputs to OBS window).

The issue is when I play a game like PUBG, as soon as I speak the trigger words, PUBG's window focus is lost and that is a serious issue during a FPS game cuz you no longer have control during a firefight.

I have tried sending the inputs to PUBG (cuz OBS does not care where the key inputs come from), but that does not work.  I have looked for a "Send Inputs to Global Windows" or something like that, but have found no solutions.

Any help with this is much appreciated even if someone definitively tells me that VA cannot achieve this.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:25:31 AM by JDsplice »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: OBS Studio & VA
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:17:06 AM »
The only thing I can think of is that maybe VA's presses are happening too quickly for OBS to pick it up.  Not typical for a Windows app, but it may be working on some type of polling mech, so, try this:

Press down Left Ctrl key
Press down Left Shift key
Press down H key
Pause 0.5 seconds    <---- fiddle with this number (increase/decrease)
Release H key
Release Left Shift key
Release Left Ctrl key

This is something you have to do for games, usually, as seen in this thread: https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=53.0

JDsplice

Re: OBS Studio & VA
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
The only thing I can think of is that maybe VA's presses are happening too quickly for OBS to pick it up.  Not typical for a Windows app...

SOLVED: The timing was too fast and I did not have to "spread" out all the key presses.
Default timing was 0.02 for the keypress which was fine for the Focused window, but not enough to get passed through to the Unfocused window.
A timing of 0.05 was enough for the command to get "passed through" to the unfocused OBS.

This brings up an interesting feature in VA then ...
Having control to send commands to just the focused window and not any other windows "listening" is kinda neat if anyone ever wanted to use that for some reason.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.  I'm so glad this was figured out!