Author Topic: Disabling "Ignore an Unrecognized Word or Phrase" has no effect  (Read 4188 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Disabling "Ignore an Unrecognized Word or Phrase" has no effect
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »
It appears that disabling the VoiceAttack Action "Ignore an Unrecognized Word or Phrase" has no effect. So the following code:
Code: [Select]
Do nothing (ignore command)
Set Text [textVar1] to 'puppies'
Write '[Blue] {TXT:textVar1}' to log

Outputs "puppies" if the "Do nothing" is enabled or disabled. But if you remove the "Do nothing" line altogether then the typical command confirmation line (showing the name of the executed command) as well as "puppies" appear in the event log.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Disabling "Ignore an Unrecognized Word or Phrase" has no effect
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:56:51 AM »
I'll take a look at it.  Thanks for the heads-up!

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »
afaik it disables output of VA messages to the log whilst that cmd is running. A deliberate write to log is always shown. It would actually be a huge issue for HCS if Gary changes the way this is already running, even if it is not running quite as intended atm.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
afaik it disables output of VA messages to the log whilst that cmd is running.
If you tack on a "Stop running all commands" action or a "run an application" action to the end of my example the log will show "Stop running commands" or "launched xyz" as the final log item. "Do nothing" does seem to block the display of the event log's confirmation text for the root command containing the "do nothing" as well as any subcommands called within the root command.

I agree the base functionality should be maintained (unless Gary has bigger and better ideas of course). I just wanted to point out that Disable's "turn-on-turn-off" effect for command actions does't impact "Do nothing," which I'm assuming is an unexpected behavior.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:28:51 PM »
I wished I would have made this a check box option, but for some reason that I would have to sit and figure out (probably command screen layout at the time), it ended up being some kind of weird action.  Anyways, the purpose of the action is to just take whatever is in the, 'when i say box' as a command and just reject it outright.  Effectively, the idea was that there would just be ONE action ever in the command.  Just a quick and dirty way to keep, 'and' and, 'when' and, 'if' and 'if if if if if if if' from showing up all the time.  For the most part, that's usually what happens but since you can put any number of actions in the list, that doesn't work right.  So, I made it to where if that action exists ANYWHERE in the action set, the command will just not execute. 

The problem has been fixed and will be in the next update ;)  Thanks again for the heads-up!

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:13:52 AM »
Gary, please read email asap m8e :)
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »
It seems like there may be various levels of "do nothing" that might be useful to users. Here are the cases I see based on our discussion:
  • Existing "do nothing" functionality that blocks the output of the command (and sub-command) confirmation line in the event log.
  • Block all event log output except for deliberate "write to log" actions. This would not show things like "stop all commands" or "launching xyz" that I previously mentioned.
  • True "do nothing" that when activated literally kills the functionality of the command. I think this would be the case for preventing those undesirable phrases like "and and," "if if if," etc.
So really what we're talking about is event log output management, and if folks are interested in the above options perhaps it would be best to rename the functionality and move away from the "do nothing" verbiage.